cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5, what Cat cable is best

Evans8773
Joining in

Hi after my Hub 4 bricked the engineer has replaced with the Hub 5. I am looking to wire up 2 pc's in the furthest point in the house an upstairs bedroom. On wifi both pc's get average 400 mbps on the 1 gig package and would like some guidence on what cat cable would be best for my needs. it will need to be weather proof. Also whats the best internet speed tester.   Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Cat5e or Cat6 or Cat6a anything else is a waste of money. Cat6a give you the best future proofing at the moment. Use only UTP cable NOT STP as there is no screening earth on VM hubs.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Cat5e or Cat6 or Cat6a anything else is a waste of money. Cat6a give you the best future proofing at the moment. Use only UTP cable NOT STP as there is no screening earth on VM hubs.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks for the reply, will buy quality brand cat6a utp....cheers

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Also make sure it’s solid copper cores and not the cheaper CCA. (Copper Coated Aluminium)

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Why do you want weather proof.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Maybe the cable will be run outside?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks