cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 reset Subnet IP's changed

pogit1
Up to speed

I’m having the same problem for some reason the hub5 has switched to using the sun net of 255.255.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0  and now refuses to issue IP addresses and the virgin middleware has completely messed the factory reset not rectifying anything.  

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity and post split to own thread]

14 REPLIES 14

Client62
Legend

Another Hub 5 with a DHCP server defect.

Using a Hub 5 in modem mode and a 3rd Party router appears to be the only way to have a stable system.

g0akc
Problem sorter

Looking on the bright side - you could now, in theory, have over 65,000 devices! 😀

presumably the reset has been performed correctly?

if so I guess you need a new hub….  Boot loader corrupt?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey pogit1, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this.

I have taken a look at our side and I can see you've spoke to the team since this post, did they manage to get this resolved for you at all? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

I managed to fix it after over 24 hrs of banging my head on the damn hub.   

basically the virgin GUI hub is crap and if and ip conflict or overload happens the ip release system messes up.   With a lot of hunting I found another former employee on here had been complaining about the same issue found a fault with hub 4/5 not restoring factory defaults correctly, remaining Wi-Fi, changing Wi-Fi passwords, and smart Wi-Fi settings.  A work around was to do multiple factory restarts and use the loading page to change Wi-Fi details, this however should be used with caution as you can lock yourself out of the hub and alarming change the hub default login password. 

there are major flaws with Virgin implementation on hub middle ware sadly nothing new but this is the worst it’s ever been which is highly fustrating as the hub 5 is the only super hub that’s been worth having 

after todays multiple nation wide outages it’s happened again and so far I haven’t got it back up an running but if you too end network engineers are as skilled in networking as your hub firmware team it’s no wonder the whole network is an absolute shambles.

VM please get some network and programming stafff who know what they’re doing because you have got it so bad it’s dangerous. 

Hi @Mathew_ML   No sadly it’s not fixed as it should be.

I’ve had to turn Wi-Fi off on the hub5 as the 5GHz channel has basically become corrupt as changes aren’t successfully changing across both bands causing conflicts on connecting devices.  

That along with the subnet changes and further advice is appreciated.  Also worth noting the 60 second reset is actually an 80 second tester in the hub5 and doesn’t really work anyway. 

Oh great who did what to my hub, now I’m back at square one thanks a bunch. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As per @Client62 use modem mode and buy a decent 3rd party Router.

I have a Hub 5 in modem mode at the moment.  In fact all the Hubs I've ever had over the years were all used in modem mode.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I get and understand putting the hub in Modem mode it’s better as it takes out VM middleware.  But one we shouldn’t have to the hub 5 actually works well for a suberhub, but in this scenario changing it to modern mode doesn’t help as it’s already screwed up and FR(116secs) and modem mode doesn’t reset the settings to what they should be. 

The fix is VM doing their jobs properly the VM interface across what 6 versions of hubs now is so far beyond flawed it’s a joke.  

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi pogit1, thanks for reaching out on our help forums and sorry to read of all the issues you've been having with your hub 5 recently.

Thanks for updating the thread and for letting us know this has now been restored as well, can you please advise if you're still using the hub in modem mode currently or it's back on router and working well over wireless too?

Also, how do things with the hub and service look since your last post?

Please, pop us a new message here in case the problem re-occurs and we're happy to assist with this.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs