cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 remote restart by Virgin

Mateyski
Tuning in

Is there a way Virgin Media can restart its Hub 5 remotely? It often happens that I'm away at work, also writing this post, and the hub must be in some error mode randomly. I'm ending up without ability to control cameras, heating, etc. Pretty poor considering the price if the broadband and knowing that most of the households rely on remote devices. 

8 REPLIES 8

Client62
Legend

Hub 5 Router mode may well be the instability issue.    Hub 5 in Modem mode appears far more stable.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

No 

Its unclear why you need to reboot a hub maybe the hub is poorly coded and locks up how would VM reboot the hub like that? or your IP you was in has been removed and your hub lease time is still valid VM can't just go round per hub to reboot or reboot their gateway just for you.

Think about getting a backup 4G with a smart plug you can turn the hub off and on   

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the firmware on the hub has failed then it’s highly unlikely it would respond to any commands from VM even if they could issue them. "It often happens" you should start looking at the underlying problem. What do you normally do when you return home? You should always design what you are using with the thought that the internet will not always be there. I run in modem mode and have 60+ IoT devices and cameras including a burglar alarm. All can run without the internet being there all the time.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

In future use a smart plug which you can switch on or off remotely.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thanks. Also as mentioned by legacy1 I will have to have a look at that back up.

TableTop
Up to speed

How would you remotely switch on and off a smart plug, if there is no working internet connection? I suppose there may be one with some kind of cellular connection backup, I would suspect that such a thing would be ridiculously expensive though.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Smart plugs are mostly WiFi. You can get 4G versions for a lot more money, but the market is quite small I suspect.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Mateyski
Tuning in

I suppose the best option is to have a spare 4/5g router plugged in with lets say Smarty Data sim, connect couple of cameras in case Virgin fails and also first thing on my return I'm going for a different router and make Hub5 a modem. I've seen some 4g plugs but way more expensive than a separate LTE router. Many thanks for your input.