cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 no support for WiFi 5 (AC) at 2.4Ghz

aderrose
On our wavelength

I'm posting on behalf of my Dad who has just upgraded from the 350mbps package to the Gig1 package.  He's also been sent a Hub 5 to replace his Hub 3 (required to support DOCSIS 3.1 and Gig1).

He's managed to re-connect most devices without issue, however, his laptop won't connect properly, it has the correct SSID and PSK for the router and claims to "Connected, secured" as Windows 10 tells him but he can't get any further onto the local network or the Internet.

The laptop can also dual-boot into Raspberry Pi Desktop, which looks and works like a Raspberry Pi with similar software runs on x86 computers rather than ARM like the Pi's, this OS says that both eth0 (wired) and wlan0 (wireless) connections have "expired" and in both cases they don't have an IP address associated.

Having spent some time helping to diagnose the issue myself I also had issues with my own Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10, at home it connects to my Hub 4 using WiFi 5 (ac) at 5ghz but on my Dad's Hub 5 it can only connect at WiFi 4 (n) at 2.4ghz, it also won't connect to anything else around it.

I've checked the settings on the Hub 5 and other than a few IP reservations the standard config hasn't been altered but I noticed in the Wireless Signal page that the 2.4ghz radio can support wireless b/g/n and ax (and various other options dropping older standards until only the latest ax is active). Meanwhile, the 5ghz radio can use g/n/a/ac and ax (again with other options dropping older standards until only ax is available).

Both of these devices worked well until the new hub arrived and I can't see why they are connected but won't connect to the Internet properly.  My Surface Pro 4 does get an IP address and can ping and tracert to google.com (with very high ping times 2-3,000 ms) but can't browse to the same site.

Has anybody else had similar issues or is the network support description a typo, it seems odd to drop WiFi 5 support before dropping WiFi b or g.

He has other older devices connecting without issue, which include an iPad (3rd Gen) i.e. the first iPad to feature the retina display, and an old(ish) Huawei P Smart mobile both of which only support upto WiFi 4 (n), there are also several devices connecting via ethernet without issue.

Would it be worth swapping my Hub 4 to his cable and seeing what happens, is this even possible?

4 REPLIES 4

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Reset it

Many hate hub 4 you be better off putting the hub 5 in modem mode and get a better router
---------------------------------------------------------------

carl_pearce
Community elder

Have you tried altering the security type?

I believe the HUB 5 uses WPA2/WPA3 by default, which in some cases needs to be dropped to WPA2.

@carl_pearce Thanks for that idea, I had checked various settings but missed the wireless security setting, I'll pass the idea along and see if it helps.

I'm thinking it must be set for WPA2 though or at the least WPA2/WPA3 as the iPad is running iOS 9 (which hasn't been updated since 2016) and won't have a clue about WPA3.

aderrose
On our wavelength

As an extra thought the laptop has both ethernet and Wi-Fi devices using Intel chipsets which when I installed the Raspberry Pi Desktop OS I had a certain degree of pain getting either to work and had to drop drivers on from another Debian (which is what Raspberry PI OS is based on) install via USB, so this may be related but it doesn't excuse Windows from not connecting.