cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 drops connections and several devices can't connect

FosterCB
Tuning in

Hello all! 

So after a successful message last time to help me out I thought I would give this another go. 

I randomly got selected to upgrade to the new flashy hub... Wahoo. Until it arrived and it has actually been such a disappointment.

Firstly, my pain PC is connected through ethernet and the connection coming in is fine, I am always getting a solid 110. So ethernet is not the issue here. 

Wifi, some devices including my work laptop just refused to connect to the router. I think this was down to the killerelite wireless card it has and I guess the new Wifi 6 conflicting so I had to actually change the wireless band settings to the type /b on the wifi card to be able to connect after hours of troubleshooting. Not sure why it worked but it did. 

Now I have several devices on the network, TV, Alexas etc. Some of them especially the TV which is a metre away from the router itself will suddenly have no internet, it's still connected to the router but no internet is passing through, I have to refresh the connection on the TV and it works again fine. I cannot for the life of me workout if there are any reasons it's doing this but its happening very frequently. 

I also had to set up a guest network with no password for things like my google nest home thermostat to connect to otherwise it was just not connecting. Again no idea why that worked but it did. 

It has so many random issues and I thought there might be a better Wifi strength on this router but can't say I have noticed it. I tried plugging back in my trusty hub 3 which I didn't realise has been switched off now. Sad times. 

Any help is much appreciated and if you need any further clarity please do ask. 

I tried all the basic troubleshooting and more e.g. full resets etc. 

18 REPLIES 18

Would rather just have a hub that works 

@BillieMorrison wrote:

I'm having the same issue and working from home it's causing me so many headaches.

Call centre has told me nothing wrong and to get on with it, can't get my old router back.

Please someone help... 

Hello mate, 

The only advice I can offer, the problems were all to do with Wifi. Connected to the router via cable I had no problems, if you can do that then try it maybe? The call centre has always been rubbish to me, post your question on here and hope a very helpful engineer will look into it and help you out! (Or as someone else pointed out, buy a router and change yours to modem mode and should work better than ever)

The engineer that came confirmed that nearly all problems with this hub have been Wifi related. They have been given no advice on how to fix these issues and will automatically just revert you back to a hub 3. Madness if you ask me but I guess my opinion doesn't matter. Beta testing on paying customers but not offering the correct support is possibly the worst business decision! 

It wasn't even put across like it was a tester the email read as if it was an upgrade

Hoping someone picks up this message and can arrange for me to just get my old hub back I don't want to have to spend my own money buying something because they've done me over

Thanks for the help! 

Hi @BillieMorrison
Welcome to the community!
Sorry to hear you're having issues with the Hub 5. I can see on our system that you have already been in touch with us to arrange this to be looked into. Please let us know how you get on and if you have any further questions or concerns. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Yeah I had to call and someone is coming out Friday to fit me with the old box 

Thank you for taking the time to update the thread and let us know BillieMorrison. 

Please let us know how it goes and if you require any further assistance following the visit. 

Thanks 

Nat

Got my old box installed today matter resolved automatically!! 

Hi just wanted to add my experience. The hub 5 cannot cope with many devices on Wi-Fi (I’m not sure of its maximum number but cannot be more than 30).  I was experiencing multiple drops including an Alexa right next to the hub. I connected a netgear orbi 852 (which can connect with upto 100  devices), reset and put my virgin hub in modem mode. And if by magic all devices now connect. Not sure pods or an engineer visit are the answer since this isn’t a Wi-Fi range issue. Just a rubbish virgin hub 5. 

The Hub 5 comes across as product that is so much trouble it should be withdrawn from service and retired.