cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 drops connection @ won’t reconnect

reck
On our wavelength

Since we’ve had the hub 5 we’ve got a problem in the house where a device, tablet, phone etc will drop the WiFi connection and then doesn’t reconnect. 

When this happens and we select our WiFi network on the device it will either just try and connect and never manage it or it will say invalid password. 

When this happens the only way we’ve found to fix it is to reboot the Hub 5. It only ever affects one device at a time as well and everything else continues to be connected to the WiFi fine.

This is costing us money because when it happens on our phone we don’t know it’s switched to 4G and we end up using all the data and have to purchase more. 

This happened last week with my sons iPhone and today it’s happened to mine. 

Is anyone aware of a fix for this? Thanks. 

62 REPLIES 62

reck
On our wavelength

I've give it another reboot as we’ve had the problem again today with one of the phones not being able to connect/not accepting password. 

Other than keep rebooting and resetting what else can I do to fix this?

Others have suggested splitting the network, can Virgin confirm this is needed to resolve this and what are the implication for doing this? If not this, what else?

Thanks

Exaclty the same problems with my hub 5 although mine is multiple devices at once. Older devices that don't show the little 6 on the WiFi stay connected all newer devices that show the 6 drop connection. I did a test on the hub and I have 29 device issues and they are all wifi interference! Unfortunately everything I have tried doesn't work and I am already on my SECOND hub 5 so it's obviously an issue with them all and not just a coincidence 👎

@Jayde-91  Phone up and insist that you want the Hub 5 replacing with a Hub 4 or Hub 3 (depends on speed and one or two other factors as to which you'll get).  Or the staff here may be able to arrange a swap without dealing with the poor telephone support, if you'll wait.

The Hub 5 is in customer testing ("soft launch" in VM's words) and there's a range of known and probably unknown compatibility issues around wifi, there's no way of knowing if these will be solved in days, weeks, months or even years - a sensible bet says several months.

@reck Same goes for you.  I think you said that you "needed Wifi 6", in which case your only options are to wait it out until the Hub 5 problems are fixed, or put it into modem mode and buy your own Wifi 6 router.  Replacing the Hub 5 will have no effect until there's new firmware issued, and when that happens it will be remotely rolled out to all Hub 5s.  There's nothing in settings or config that can be changed that will help - the underlying problem here is that the Hub 5 was launched with inadequately tested and immature firmware.

Thanks for that, hopefully i can manage to get it changed as its been nothing but a problem since getting it 

Hi reck, 

Thanks for coming back to us with an update on this. We're sorry to hear things haven't improved. 

Taking a look at things from this end, all power levels and signal levels are where they need to be. There is nothing untoward in the area either. 

I can see the WiFi diagnostics is showing that you have too many devices on the 5GHz band so this could be bumping some devices off. It's worth turning the WiFi off on your devices and then back on for it to connect on the correct band. 

Splitting the network bands may help but this isn't something we recommend doing. If you want to split the networks then you can search for the steps within the Community. 

Please keep us posted on how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

reck
On our wavelength

Hi Kath,

We had an engineer out a few weeks ago to sort out the power/signal levels so they should all be ok as you’ve confirmed. 

This is more than having too many devices on the network as when a device drops off it stops recognising the WiFi password until the router is restarted. Turning WiFi off/on or forgetting the network on the device doesn’t fix the problem. 

I’ve had to reboot again today due to one phone dropping off/not recognising the password. We had someone round yesterday and as soon as we tried to connect their phones home to to the WiFi we got the password not recognised error straight away. 

My daughters phone drops off and most of the time she doesn’t realise and ends up using up all her data, so costing us money. 

If splitting the network up isn’t the recommended way forward what do you recommend to get this sorted out once and for all? Thanks. 

reck
On our wavelength

@Andrew-G,

I don’t want to be going out buying a new router if I can help it but if Virgins router isn’t working correctly it may be something I have to eventually look at. I’d want to fully rule out a config/hardware issue first of all though. 

Is there any sort of communication regarding the hub 5 customer testing, known issues, upcoming firmware etc? I’d like to know what’s going on because when I got the email/letter asking if I wanted a hub 5 it didn’t say I was signing up for beta testing and there might be issues. Has there been any official announcement about this public testing and when the trial is going to end?

Thanks for your post btw. 

Thanks for coming back to us @reck.

I have looked into this further and cannot see any issues that would be causing these issues.

How have your services been running since you last posted?

Regards,

Steven_L

reck
On our wavelength

Hi, if anything it’s getting worse. Getting drop offs every other day or so. 

Please can I ask for a course of action rather than another check on how it’s going? What is the next step for you or me to address this issue?

The last few replies from Virgin have not progressed the situation at all. Thanks. 

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @reck,

I am sorry that this has not improved, it does seem that you are on a low speed tariff. While having a Hub5, which could be causing the drops in connection. Would you consider either upgrading your speeds to suit the Hub-5? Or swapping back to a Hub-3? 

Let me know.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide