cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 connection issues with TP-LInk network

robinsoncrusoe
On our wavelength

Hi,

I tried installing my new Hub 5 last night and all seemed to go fine (Hub 5 white light was on steady) but when I tried to select the Hub 5 wi-fi from my mobileand entered the Hub 5 password I got "Connected, but no Internet". I didn't have my TP-Link Deco network connected at the time so I am puzzled why it didn't work? I reverted back to the Hub-3 and it all worked ok

I am going to give it another go but there is no advice on connecting my TP-Link Deco network. Once I have the Hub-5 working:

• Is it just a case of connecting the TP-link network to the Hub-5 and it should all work?
  • Does it matter which ethernet port on the Hub-5 I use (on the Hub-3 I used port 3)?
  • Presumably I need to put the Hub-5 into modem mode (like the Hub-3 was) but when I typed the IP Address (192.168.0.1) into the address bar on my PC just now I get a "this site can't be reached" message

All help much appreciated. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If your old hub works, then the new Hub5 has not been added to your account. Call Equipment activation on 0800 953 9500.

You must put the hub into modem mode in a certain sequence, instructions follow:

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta, on a Hub4 the LED band will be green, on a Hub5 the LED will be green. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP (for some routers or mesh this may have to be done in router mode before entering modem mode)

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money. On a Hub5 use port 4.

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note1: this only needs doing once for each new router or when VM changes your WAN IP address.

Note2: If you have a Hub4 and your own router is NOT 192.168.0.1 then it’s possible that you can still access the VM hub on 192.168.0.1

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If your old hub works, then the new Hub5 has not been added to your account. Call Equipment activation on 0800 953 9500.

You must put the hub into modem mode in a certain sequence, instructions follow:

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta, on a Hub4 the LED band will be green, on a Hub5 the LED will be green. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP (for some routers or mesh this may have to be done in router mode before entering modem mode)

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money. On a Hub5 use port 4.

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note1: this only needs doing once for each new router or when VM changes your WAN IP address.

Note2: If you have a Hub4 and your own router is NOT 192.168.0.1 then it’s possible that you can still access the VM hub on 192.168.0.1

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Daniel_Et
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @robinsoncrusoe, thank you for your post.

We're sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing 😔

How have things been since you posted?

Please try following the excellent advice provided by @Tudor. If you're continuing to experience issues thereafter, don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
Daniel

Hi and thanks for reply from you and @Tudor. The support is much appreciated. I reconnected the Hub 5 following the instructions that came with it and then followed the steps in @Tudor's message. Step 1 seemed to work fine as the Hub 5 light eventually went green. I followed Step 2. I didn't do anything for Step 3 as my home network (I am using TP-Link Deco M4) was already set up to work with my Hub 3. I followed Step 4, connecting to port 4 on my Hub 5, and followed step 5. The hub 5 light eventually turned green but, using my mobile, I could see that my home network was showing "Connected to device but can't provide Internet".  The DECO devices were all lit red so I turned them all off, re-booted the Hub and then turned the DECO devices all back on but the result was the same. So, meantime, I've reconnected my Hub 3 and it's all working fine. If not doing anything at Step 3 is the issue then I am struggling a bit because I don't understand the instruction but I imagined that simply changing the Hub shouldn't mess up my Home network set up.

Thanks in anticipation.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you didnt do it... You need to change the set up in the M4's and set the WAN port to be DHCP.  Follow Tudor's guide again exactly

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes you must do step 3. It worked in modem mode because the M4 was set to bridge mode, just pass thru data do no routing.

Tudor

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have reconnected the Hub 3 and it’s working, that’s the problem.  The Hub 5 is not yet authorised.  You can only have one Hub working, so until you get the Hub 5 authorised it will never work. Once this is done the Hub 3 will cease to function. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for these replies. I'm "out of town"for a couple of days but will get to it again

I've now reset my Deco M4s and disconnected the 2 extra ones. I've put the VM hub 5 in modem mode and the light is on steady and green which seems to confirm it is in modem mode. I've gone through the deco set up process withe the ethernet connected to port 4 on the hub and created a network. All seems good but when I try to connect to the network I get: "connected to network can't provide internet access". The other odd thing is if I type  192.168.100.1 into the address bar on my phone it times out. Help!

If I reconnect the phone it doesn't work either