cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 connecting to Surfshark VPN

Bowsa
On our wavelength

Hi all, 

I am trying to sure up a bit of security with my vpn and putting all my “smart” home devices onto my guest network as I understand this adds another layer of security for the main network and the devices connected to it.

my question is whether or not the Hub5 can have VPN settings connected to it and if it’s specifically compatible with Surfsharkd wire guard for which I will need a “key pair” 

any advice is greatly appreciated 

thanks 

17 REPLIES 17

david1235
On our wavelength

I like to use my own router and mesh system.  Its fully customisable and can be used with any provider.  They are relatively inexpensive nowadays. I personally prefer Asus routers and mesh system.  

Bowsa
On our wavelength

It doesn’t look like it does repeat the guest network. 

I thought IoTs were easy to crack and get into your network that way? 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

You don't need a VPN for “smart” home devices to be secure a router and AP with subnets/VLANs setup is what you need.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Bowsa
On our wavelength

But a vpn on the route would provide more security and privacy wouldn’t it ?

Client62
Hero

The assumption is quite flawed, use of any VPN only means your data emerges unencrypted onto the internet at a different exit point (e.g at Bristol in place of Leeds). It is absolutely not end to end secured from your home to the back end system of the IoT providers. 

Given that VM internet is already encrypted from the Hub to the VM data centre, that will be all that is needed.

Are these IoT installed and working successfully over the Hub's  VMxxxxxx Wi-Fi network at the moment ?

If not, focus on getting a working installation, this forum is  full of posts from people that had many issues getting IoT connected often due to failure to follow the instruction to the letter and also due to Hub's with faulty Wi-Fi.

Bowsa
On our wavelength

Everything is working fine bud, if that was the issue I’d have started there. 

Im just looking to secure things as best I can with the tools at hand and a base understanding

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Bowsa wrote:

Im just looking to secure things as best I can with the tools at hand and a base understanding

So what I said then

VPN have their uses just not for this a AP and router with subnets/VLANs can isolate your traffic from devices so that they don't share the same subnet. 

Like I have a Zyxel USG60W with WAX510D meaning managed by USG but you can use Standalone AP you can have a VLAN4092 with like 192.168.255.250.1/24 to a given SSID so untag devices like IoT can use the that VLAN which is firewalled from your LAN1 192.168.0.1/24 and for AP settings you can enable Intra-BSS Traffic blocking so if one IoT get infected it can only talk to the gateway and not other IoT on the same subnet.

---------------------------------------------------------------

@Bowsa wrote:

Everything is working fine bud, if that was the issue I’d have started there. 

And that is completely understandable, the issue is that despite popular belief, plus some marketing efforts by VPN suppliers to suggest otherwise, using a VPN on a home network, does precisely NOTHING to increase security!

Honestly, I really wouldn’t bother, it will achieve nothing but increase complexity and complicate matters.