cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 connected no or intermittent internet

Mrzapie
Dialled in

I like a bit more information please as to why the HUB 5 is failing so I can chase down reasonable compensation and / or get a contract release on other VM accounts we have before I attempt another disastrous upgrade from 3 to 5 at other properties.

Briefly

Crash and burn changing from a functioning  HUB 3  to  HUB 5 now with intermittent Internet.

The HUB 5 has connected to the VM network as I received a confirmation activation text.

I have confirmation from VM that there are no local network issues.

'phones, tablets, laptop will all connect to the hub but with the following;

"Connected without Internet"

Done several on / offs, checked cables, 60 second reset, spoken to VM all to no avail.

All I can assume is that I've been sent a faulty hub that is not fit for purpose.

Question 1

As the VM tech' phone help line are out of their depth with this problem is there a step by step fix available?

Question 2 

Can I re-install the old HUB 3?

Thanks - in anticipation.

Cheers.

22 REPLIES 22

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

All these people with hub 5 want to use an old older hub....

You can fix your problems by getting your own router with 1Gb ports and put hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

@legacy1 wrote:

You can fix your problems by getting your own router with 1Gb ports and put hub in modem mode.

......on the upside as VM have supplied equipment that is not fit for purpose which then allows the consumer to demand and expect reasonable compensation, outside of the "standard" Ofcom terms.

3 hours of my time on a bank holiday isn't cheap!

Cheers.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

VM only need to say that the hub is fit for purpose in modem mode.

You want to waste your time for compensation you go right ahead.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Mrzapie
Dialled in

I was sold a contract for a hub, I'll add misrepresentation to fitness for purpose to the claim!

With a previous claim VM were  reasonable.

Cheers

@legacy1 wrote:

As it seems, based on the report given by the OP, that WiFi is working OK, in as much that devices connect but can't get any further, but the issue is rather that the hub had failed to connect properly with VM's infrastructure. I don't see how exactly putting it in modem mode and them getting their own router will do anything other than costing them money? If it's not connecting, then it's not connecting and that's completely irrespective of the 'mode' that the hub is in, no?

Now, of course, there may be something else going on, but based on what evidence we do have, we certainly cannot state categorically that 'hub in modem mode' cures all ills!

Client62
Legend

The Hub 5 in Router is know to have severe defects with both with both its WiFi and DHCP server.

If a Hub 5 is exhibiting either or both of these issues, a device could attempt to connect and not get past exchanging the SSID / Password.

The earlier comment suggesting a Hub 5 is fit only as a Modem is very sound advice.

Hi Mrzapie,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you've had with the hub 5. 

I have taken a look on our side and it looks as though you were able to speak with the team regarding this to get help. 

Please do let us know if you are still having issue. 

^Martin

Mrzapie
Dialled in

Hi Martin,

Not sure where you get the idea I received any help, I had to instigate a replacement for the faulty Hub 5. 

Should you require it there is a list of the faults with the Hub 5 published elsewhere on this forum. If you're struggling to find it I'm happy to send you the details.

In summary I wasted the best part of 3 hours trying to sort out a problem which you VM as an organisation are aware of and could have been quickly sorted out with a replacement HUB 5.

In a fit of pique I initiated a claim for compensation, I have 29 days to withdraw that claim.

Might be best if VM give me calll......we have more than this account with VM.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Mrzapie, 

Thank you for your reply. 

We are sorry for your experience and any inconvenience caused by this. 

We can see our team have arranged a visit from ourselves to investigate the matter further. 

A call back cannot be arranged from here but we would be happy to provide you with some helpful information for you to review. 

In regards to compensation, we have our automatic scheme in place which you can view here

If you wish to raise a complaint, details on how to do so can be found here

Please let us know how the visit goes and if you require any further assistance. 

Thanks, 

Nat