cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 & Modem issues

ShineyT
Joining in

Hi all,

Recently received my Hub 5 and am having a nightmare getting it set up in the same way my Hub 4 was. Honestly kind of desperate to revert back to the 4 but hoping someone can point out where I am going wrong.

Previously, I ran my Hub 4 in modem mode with a 3 pod BT Whole Home mesh. I had the BT mesh connected via port 1 on the Hub 4, and two futher desktop PCs connected to the Hub 4 via ethernet in ports 2 and 3. This worked perfectly fine for years with the mesh giving good wifi coverage and the two ethernet devices attached to the Hub 4 in modem mode having a great, stable connection.

Issue 1 - I have now set up the Hub 5, and firstly cannot even get it to connect to the mesh when in modem mode, but the only way it will even recognise the mesh in modem mode is if I have no other ethernet devices attached, and the mesh is in port 1.

Issue 1.5 - If the answer to the above is that only one port works now in modem mode (why?!?!), my mesh only has a single ethernet port on the master, which is obviously being used to connect it to the Hub 5. I cannot then connect my two desktop PCs in any way, as both do not have WiFi connectivity?

Issue 2 - When I have managed to get the Hub 5 and mesh to recognise each other, the mesh connects and recognises the Hub 5, but "with no internet connection"

Issue 3 - Currently I have the Hub 5 in router mode, attached to my BT Whole Home, and everything is working.. But can't help but think this will be creating interference and really it should be in modem mode.

Any help greatly appreciated as this is causing me quite the headache as I work from home and currently things aren't working quite right!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Doing that should get you the same setup as your previous hub, as long as your happy with the bt discs wifi speed

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you had the hub4 in modem mode only one port should have worked, are you sure you didn't just turn the WiFi off on the hub 4 rather than put in in modem mode?

100% been in modem mode ever since I bought the mesh, with 3 ports in constant use.

If turning the wifi off is an option to sort this, is that as simple as turning off the 2.4 and 5ghz frequencies in the settings?

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Doing that should get you the same setup as your previous hub, as long as your happy with the bt discs wifi speed

Brilliant thanks, will do that and see how it goes 🙂

BT Wifi speeds have been in the 300mb range all around the house on previous set up, M350 package, so no complaints

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ShineyT wrote:

100% been in modem mode ever since I bought the mesh, with 3 ports in constant use.

Any VM Hub in modem mode only has one working port, so you must have been in Router mode.  You can also rename the BT wifi SSID to match the one broadcasting from the Hub 5, or vice versa. Set the passwords the same as well for seamless roaming.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi. Has the V5 Hub also only one Ethernet port working when in Modem Mode? When speaking to Virgin support they seemed to think ports 1 and 4 should work on the V5 Hub and that port 4 gives the higher 2.4Gbps data rate.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Brian 349, 

Thank you for posting to us here on the Community. 

Our apologies for any confusion caused, only the one port will work whilst the equipment is in modem mode. 

More information and support can be found here

Please let us know if you have any questions. 

Thanks, 

Nat