cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5, Wireless SSID’s and DHCP…

Sean1983
Tuning in

Hi everyone, and hello VM if you're reading this,

I'm a long-time VM subscriber and a former employee, and I've generally enjoyed using the platform without any major issues. However, I've recently encountered some problems with the new Hub 5 that I'd like to share with others who may be experiencing similar issues.

I believe that the firmware issues on the Hub 5 have caused several problems that are not likely due to the original hardware provided by Sagemcom. This reminds me of how VM used their outdated TiVo software on new Liberty Global hardware, which resulted in a slow and buggy TV interface.

It seems that the developers working on these firmware updates have made some mistakes, either because they are inexperienced or because they are trying to simplify the interface and functionality for the sake of user-friendliness and security. Unfortunately, this has led to some serious problems with the Hub 5.

Here are the issues I've been facing:

I've removed my previous Google Wi-Fi mesh and connected a 2.5 GbE Ethernet cable via a couple of unmanaged switches. When I change the SSID from the default one, the network fails, and DHCP becomes unavailable. After some experimentation, I found that giving unique SSIDs to the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radios resolves the issue. However, this setup causes the VM Connection app and the WiFi SuperPod to malfunction, as they seem to require matching SSIDs for the two radios.

There could be a few reasons for this issue:

Each radio has its own DHCP server, leading to IP conflicts when the SSIDs are the same.

Both radios share a single DHCP server, but there is an IP or port conflict that prevents clients from connecting.

There may be a conflict with the public-facing WiFi or the Hub 5's guest network DHCP.

As a temporary solution, I'm using a third-party device to handle DHCP. I would like to continue using the Hub 5's WiFi 6 capabilities, as the hardware is actually quite good when it's not hindered by VM's firmware.

Another issue I've encountered is with the WiFi SuperPods. They could be very useful if they worked with separate SSIDs, but they don't. Also, the SuperPods seem to have only 1 GbE Ethernet ports or disabled 2.5 GbE ports, which limits their usefulness in a mesh network, especially in large houses with thick walls.

It seems like VM either opted for a less capable version from Plume or messed up the firmware, disabling the 2.5 GbE functionality. VM should consider allowing customers to use their own DOCSIS 3.1 CPEs, like the Sagemcom 3896AX, Motorola MB8611, or ARRIS Surfboard S33, which have better hardware and firmware.

I hope VM addresses these issues soon, or they may risk losing loyal customers who have been with them for many years. I've been with VM for 27 years and would rather not switch to another provider, but if these issues aren't resolved soon, I may have no choice.

Why is it that other ISPs and TV providers using Sagemcom CPE hardware don't seem to have these problems? VM, please fix these issues or allow us to use stock firmware or an expert option to bypass the problematic aspects of your firmware.

19 REPLIES 19

Notably, I've just manually changed the SSID and password to the default values (I was curious) . . . and it's not working. So it look like something in the actual customisation isn't working.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

VM will remove changing SSID one day VM way of thinking is less options in wifi less support plus we have posts of people saying how a hub reset to default for no reason in router mode.

If you really want to keep the same SSID and password look to get your own router

---------------------------------------------------------------

@jbrennand wrote:
The way I call it is...

Yes... the VM equipment is not the most capable out there and its made even less so by their insistence on having control of everything through applying their own - frequently "buggy" firmware.

However the VM Hubs work perfectly well for the vast majority of their 5.5m subscribers. If they didnt you wouldnt be able to move on these fora for complaints. My mate around the corner thinks the Hub5 is the finest wifi router money can buy !

So until the all powerful VM Marketing Department calculate that they need to provide better quality equipment in order to stem the loss of customers leaving - and hence reducing revenues because of these issues - they simply wont sanction major spend on major improvements - but rather just introduce cheaper solutions like... smart wifi, wifiMax, Pods, etc.

I and many others are just glad that they still allow modem mode !

Oh, John do be careful, criticism of VM’s provisions isn’t encouraged, Kei, won’t be pleased, no?😉

This is crazy behaviour,  When the technical staff can't read a message,  seriously,   

I am Ex-VM BB Support staff from a decade ago and I can't believe how the company is even operating with staff like this.

Did I once say it my post that I had trouble with my Connection, Did I mention I had an issue with my up or downstrems, Did I mention anything about my power levels....

Well the Answer is NO....

My connection is fine,  infact my power level are absolutely on the dot  Perfect.  I've never once had a connection issues in 20 odd years.

Now please,   Read the post again,   Let everyone else has.

I Found A Work Around...

I have actully got it working fine now,  FINALLY

So I figured it was a issues with the UI not saving parameters correctly causing it to bug out,  

This made me think,  But it's fine initially with the default created by the Install Wizard.

So here's the work-a-round,  This took 2 goes for it to work but...  

Try goto to:

http://192.168.l.0.1/common_page/first installation.html

Watch the Time-Wasting Slides how,  The Select Language, then, Next it asks you to Change the SSID & Password.

At this point JUST chsnge the SSID for now,  then continue let it finished its stuff and it will reboot.

Once back up and running goto the First Install Wizard again, and follow the same steps but this time JUST sent the Wireless Password.  Again less it finish and reboot.  

If you still get no IP's,  Power off Hub5,  count to 60 then Let it boot,  it should be fine then.

You might find the 5Ghz Radio take along time to come online and when it does it take a little while before it connects,  but give it 5-10mins and all should be okay!

Please let me know if this work aroind I've come up with works for you too!

I want to prove to the dummys how there firmware to no good, And an built in work around proves there bad coding.

Cheers

Sean

So with your above fix if you had to power off youre router and power back on, do you still keep the same SSID?

Yes,  Been working absolutely fine to this day!

Cythraul
Tuning in

Thank you Sean, you helped solve my problem!

I had Hub 5 installed 6 weeks ago, set custom ssid and password, set different name for 5G, enabled guest network (custom name & password). Main reason was so I didn’t have to reconfigure 30ish smart devices.

all worked perfectly (everything connected seamlessly) until yesterday morning (8ish). Could not connect any devices (inc iPad and iPhone) to any of the 3 networks. Occasionally got connection for a short time, then no internet. Tried rebooting several times but no change. Local service status said a TV issue in area, but broadband ok….

I tried hard reset. Reset the custom ssids etc, guest network etc, but still no change. Could not connect with more than one device and then only for short period. Called VM support. They told me they’d reset some settings and that it would be fine after a reboot. It wasn’t. I left it hoping maybe it was an issue with the broadband service and would be sorted by this morning. It wasn’t.

I called VM again and was told it had been escalated to the next level, with a resolution in 5 days. Needless to say I was extremely disappointed (maybe angry too….).

I found your post, and tried a hard reset but then followed your advice for new name and password. It worked fine! I could connect with any device, all my smart devices connected etc. Great start. Then I enabled the guest network, set custom name then custom password (in 2 separate steps). This stopped everything working. I could no longer connect to either the main network, or the guest network with more than one device. I managed to log back into the hub and disabled the guest network. And hey presto it all works again!

so now I have only one network, but at least it’s working as it should. I no longer have a separate 5G nor a guest network (which is a real pain as it had specific purpose). And VM will, apparently, contact me sometime over the next 5 days. Which also isn’t terribly convenient as I work 45-50 hours a week.

maybe I should just ask for the hub 3 back……

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

give in and ask for the hub 3 or just give in and get your own router with hub in modem mode

---------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying to follow your fix but that URL doesn't work http://192.168.0.1/common_page/first_installation.html

Do you know if there's an updated one? 

Cheers.