cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 WiFi speeds

colinmh23
Joining in

I'm on the VOLT 1gig package and whilst I am getting good speeds via ethernet, the WiFi even when sitting right next to it is very poor in comparison. 

940mbs download over ethernet, 80mbps WiFi right next to the router.

I've rebooted the Hub 5 several times.

Any ideas as to what I should expect?

Thank you

Colin

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is the wifi device capable of getting >100 Mbps?  Many older ones arent - or their network settings is set to 100 rather than 1GB.

Also, wifi has 2 bands 2.4 &5 GHz.  If you are connecting on the 2.4 band then ~80 is about the max you can get - to get more you need to be on the 5GHz band.  So what band is it connecting on?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Don't forget VM only guarantee 30Mb for Wifi.  However, yes with the correct devices you should be getting more than 80Mb.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

colinmh23
Joining in

Received a text from VM saying there was an issue with my connection and on the iPhone next to the router its now giving d/l of £750mbps & u/l of 98mbps - so I assume its fixed. Thanks for your input - appreciated

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Can't see that lasting...

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @colinmh23 thanks for your post here in the Community although we're sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised here.

We're glad to hear that the outage has since been resolved and your WiFi speeds are now higher than they were previously.

Any further issues then please don't hesitate to let us know!
Many thanks

Tom_W