For two days, I've been battling this issue after many weeks of strange behaviour, I have finally tried to sit down and troubleshoot and I'm now at the point where I'm genuinely of the belief that there is either a hardware failure, or more likely, a result of poor firmware that was recently rolled out.
Firstly, I am on a Hub 5 running software version LG-RDK_4.6.24-2206.7.
Second, my setup has been Hub 5 in router mode, connected to a Netgear PoE network switch, and one of the devices is a Netgear WAP. I haven't used the Hub 5's WiFi, but it is there (more on testing that later). Previously, on my Hub 3, I had the same setup.
What I'm finding is that my WAP has been dropping connections to clients. When I look at the error logs, it says that it can't get an IP address. So my troubleshooting started there... I got nowhere. Reset after reset, rejig of settings after a rejig of settings. Sometimes some clients could connect, but in the case of Windows devices, I got "No internet, secured".
I then moved backwards to the switch, same thing, resets - various settings. Same result.
I then went back to my Virgin Hub, this time completely unplugging the switch and therefore WAP. Factory reset, both on the button and via the settings, into modem mode, back out of modem mode - just to wake make sure
DHCP is on, as it always was. No filters, no port forwarding. However, I get a successful connection to the Virgin WiFi temporarily... this may last an hour or so then I get "No internet" again. My iPhone says "Unable to join network". This is either on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz, or with smart mode enabled.
When I hardwire a Windows device to the Hub, I get "Unidentified network" temporarily. I've gone through all of the Windows troubleshooting here, using PowerShell commands to reset DNS, winsock etc.
Here's the kicker - when I reset my SSID password (yes, the password), I can then reconnect again temporarily. If I set it back to a previous password, like the one my 50+ devices are on, I can't. It's like the previous passwords are all blacklisted somehow and I have to get a new password every so often.
If I customise my SSID name, as long as I haven't used it before with the same password, it'll temporarily work.
This has got me absolutely baffled. I have Alexa devices in the house that don't work, lights that don't work. Luckily my wired devices are holding up now.
On what could be an unrelated note, in December, my Plex server also was unreachable but that could be a red herring - but it does lead me to believe Virgin have pushed some nasty bugs out in this latest firmware.
I'd call the technical folk, I'd love a new Hub 5 to prove/disprove my theory but I fear I'll be asked if I've "switched it off and on again".