cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 WPA3 issue - Pixel 6 and Laptop

crypticc
Fibre optic

Hello

I've recently had Hub5 installed to replace a faulty Hub4.  I enabled WPA2/WPA3 mixed mode for the 5GHz channel in the Advanced WiFi Security Settings, but although my devices support WPA3, the router will kickout both my Pixel 6 Pro and the laptop.

The phone is Pixel 6 Pro with the July update on it; the laptop is Razer laptop with a modern Wifi 6 compliant card in it, latest drivers, etc.

Appreciate any help, or even if there's some other Google phone or Razer laptop users out there that have  managed to get WPA3 working.

Thank you

Chris

Detail

The error reported in the phone is incorrect password.  Checking phone debug logs the error detailed there is also incorrect password, but I've deleted the WiFi connection and re-established it multiple times, and triple-checked password and it still refuses to connect using WPA3. 

I've tried with both WPA3 only, and the mixed mode WPA2/WPA3 which also doesn't work,

When I turn back to WPA2 then the WiFi connects fine.

When I use a WiFi analyser tool it reports that it is broadcasting WPA3, and connecting via 802.11ax.

I noted that the WPA3 setting is on the same page as MAC filtering. So thinking it might be invisibly enabled I even manually set an "allow list" and popped the MAC address of the phone and laptop into there, but that still did not work - so it's not that MAC filtering but something else causing the issue.

The installation engineer had an advanced phone with additional diagnostics on it.  That also refused to connect inspite of multiple attempts.

Interestingly, his phone gives additional stats like wifi band, etc. not reported on my telephone.  One of the stats is the security protocol, and it reported this as "WPA2/WPA3 SAE Transitionary".

Could it be that the the Hub is broadcasting as "...transitionary" and causing devices to not trust the network?

----------------------------------------------------------

2020 Tivo-scaling bug (nearly resolved)

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

5 REPLIES 5

Client62
Alessandro Volta

Hub 5 WPA3-SAE has caused many connectivity problems for both WPA2 kit and also current WPA3 kit from main brands such as Apple and Dell. It is hard to know if the Hub 5 or the devices or most likely a bit of both are at issue. But for sure using WPA2-PSK encryption is fuss free.

The Hub 5's 802.11ax also causes issues where older Wi-Fi clients do not see any Wi-Fi signal from the Hub, the only fix for this is an additional AP or Repeater that sticks to the more mature 802.11n & 802.11ac modes.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I expect it’s either the Hub5 or device not handling PMF correctly, most probably the Hub5. Do not know what you can do, unfortunately as I have always run in modem mode I cannot test it out.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Client62
Alessandro Volta

It looks like even VM expected issues here as the factory default mode is WPA2-PSK.

crypticc
Fibre optic

Maybe Virgin should have a list of known issues. Can add Google pixel 6/6 pro, and Razer laptop to the list with Apple and HP.

But truthfully it might be all devices; in this and all the other threads I've never seen anyone say they got it working.

----------------------------------------------------------

2020 Tivo-scaling bug (nearly resolved)

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

Client62
Alessandro Volta

If you are still not connecting to the Hub 5, a work around is to add a dual band Wireless Repeater or a Wireless Access point - the critical step is to pick a device that DOES NOT support Wi-Fi 6 i.e. avoid 802.11ax.

Examples could be TP-LINK  : RE450 / AC1750 Repeater / AP or TL-WA1201 Access Point

A spare ADSL or FTTC / VDSL router could also be repurposed at a Wi-Fi access point.