cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 Slow wifi old devices

amoVM
On our wavelength

Hi,

I noticed that some old devices like iPads, have a very slow wifi speed.

For example a phone next to my iPad shows a speed of 250mbps but the iPad achieves only 40mbps. Both are non Wifi6 devices.

Any reason why please.

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The iPad could be on the 2.4Ghz band and the phone on the 5GHz band. The only way to force the iPad to the 5GHz band is to go into the settings on the hub and split the bands to different SSIDs, say xxx-2 and xxx-5. Then connect the iPad to the xxx-5 band.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

amoVM
On our wavelength

Hi both on 5ghz.

Thanks

Hi amoVM,

Thanks for posting - apologies for the low speeds. I've done a system check and your upstream levels need sorting as they're too low. I'll send a tech for this. It may not solve the speeds however so relating that, can you do a wired non-console speedtest at http://speedtest.net for me with only that device connected to the internet? This'll give us an indication of the actual speeds you're receiving and we can go from there.

I'll send you the PM for the tech visit now.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

amoVM
On our wavelength

Hi,

The speeds look fine on Ethernet 946 / 52

I can only assume the slow speeds on the old devices are due to hardware limitations?

Regards

Thanks for checking. 

It can be for a number of reasons @amoVM especially when WiFi is concerned.

We have some tips here that may help - How to Improve WiFi

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey amoVM, I am very happy to see a engineer came to fix this issues you and replaced your hub. 

If you ever need anything again you know where to find us. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

amoVM
On our wavelength

Please note he said there was nothing wrong the the upstream levels on the old router.

Hi amoVM,

Thanks for the update.

I've had a look at things from our side and everything looks to be in order after the visit.

If you do still need help with anything please let us know.

Alex_Rm

amoVM
On our wavelength

what has changed since the router replacement pls?