cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 DHCP Problem. IP Addressing

BenjyBoo
On our wavelength

Upgraded to GIG1 with Hub 5 and have about 35 devices wired and wifi, which I connected up 2 weeks ago. I set my SSID and password but some of my devices could not obtain an IP address.

Held down the factory reset button as advised online, entered my chosen SSID and password again and all my devices started to connect up.

This morning my wired PC and my partners wifi laptop were not connecting. I switched the Hub 5 off and then on again and now the wired PC was working and the wifi laptop, but now alexa wasn't nor my fire stick and some smart plugs. Factory reset number 2. Credentials updated and everything started connecting again. 

I WhatsApp'd Virgin, they did a firmware update and now its worse. The reset to factory way of getting all my devices connected isn't working. I found the only way to stop my firestick and smartphone from saying "cannot obtain ip address" is to connect manually by giving the device an IP address and they then connect.

There is a problem with the Hub 5 DHCP. 

I know I'm not the only customer with the problem, one said they found a work around by splitting the 2.4 and 5ghz bands and I'm wondering if I should try setting static ip addresses for all my devices, but this will not work with smartplugs. 

The Hub 5 seems to have a good signal for reaching all over my home, the speed is great with low latency, so why should I have to buy my own wifi router and use the Hub 5 in modem mode, like I had to with the Hub 3 years ago.

Surely Virgin Media have a fix for this?

4 REPLIES 4

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

You have too many devices for router mode

---------------------------------------------------------------

Client62
Alessandro Volta

After 2 years VM remain silent on the known issues of Hub 5s and DHCP + Wi-Fi + DNS.

Using the Hub 5 in modem mode with a 3rd party Wi-Fi router might cost £100 or so but at a stroke all of these issues are resolved and you can get back to work or streaming the tennis.

BenjyBoo
On our wavelength

I am happy with the Hub 5 wifi reaching all areas of my home and even the garden, that's what makes this DHCP issue so annoying. I had to have my own router for years with the hub 3 due to its poor signal.  What would you recommend as a replacement for using it in modem mode? Basically something with the Hub 5 spec's, minus the DHCP fault? 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Armor G5 | Zyxel Networks

---------------------------------------------------------------