Menu
MarkTra
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4

More of a statement or warning than a question... don't upgrade to the Hub 4.. worse signal reach, has a massive light strip (which I think looks awful), the hub with its massive light bar, and plug with bright green light must use more electric and be worse for the environment.

Virgin also say 'you cant revert back' once you move over to the Hub 4

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4

It does use a fraction more power than earlier hubs, but that's a consequence of the technomagick that is required to offer both 1 Gbps speed, or to increase downstream bandwith to help manage congestion problems.  All cable hubs use a bit more power than an equivalent Openreach device, but as the cable hubs don't have any "settling in" period that Openreach modems seem to need, you can use a timer plug to have your hub switched off overnight to reduce power use - I've done this for years.  In respect of the light, just get some black electrical insulating tape (eg from a pound shop).  It doesn't matter that it is insulating, but that type of tape has a smart semi-gloss black finish that won't look nasty on the hub, and it is thick and will not allow light through.

The wifi maybe pants, but the previous hubs aren't covered in glory on that front, so you might want to consider investing in a mesh wifi system and turning the hub's wireless off.  That won't fix cable connection problems, but should permanently cure any wifi woes. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4

If you dont want to use tape, dim the lights from the Hub4 settings.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Hub-4-light/td-p/4369198

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.