Menu
Ridwan107
Tuning in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4

Hi

i want the hub 4 as i upgraded from hub to 2 to hub 3 and have had nothing but problems with it . The hub 2 was excellent but the hub 3 just struggles to give signal even to the next room from the router. I have been with virgin media 6-7 years and its time to renew my contract. I have come to the conclusion that if my router issue is not resolved i will consider alternative network provider as i have complained multiple times about this single matter. The offshore call handlers do not understand my situation and make promises to call back which they have never fulfilled. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub 4

You will not get a Hub4 unless you upgrade to the 1GB, or they invite you to get one in areas of "difficult" connectivity.

However, be careful what you wish for, the wifi from the Hub4 is no better than the Hub3 - some say it is even worse.

Are your issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

If it is just wifi related, then on a Hub3/4, try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" Then use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just use 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz)— that often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address this, VM now supply “wifi pods” (no longer “boosters”). These are free to customers on the 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages, and so are worth trying if you are on one of those. There are stock supply issues at the moment though.

Otherwise, you will be charged £5/month (note that BT charge £10/mo for their equivalent) - and at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever.

I still have the SH2 - in modem mode - and have had my own fault free wireless equipment and router for ~20 years.

If its just a wifi issue then you should consider getting either a…

(1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.