Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4 wifi issue

Hi,

Just upgraded today to Gigabit with Hub4. I setup everything but my wifi speeds seems to fluctuate tremendously. Sometimes I get up to 400-500mbits speeds and sometimes only 30mbits (from same device [macbook pro, oneplus7pro]). The fluctuation occurs from the exact same location (1 or 2 floors above router) 

In the past never had such problems with Hub3 and 350 contract (always got >300mbits).

Example shown below of speedtest

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 18.45.24.png

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4 wifi issue

Speeds to the hub are fine. It’s likely devices are connecting to the slower 2.4Ghz band.

Have you split and renamed the Wi-Fi bands and tried connecting to the 5Ghz band?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I disabled the 2.4Ghz and only connected to 5Ghz.

After doing this I got around 300-400mbits (but again fluctuating). I did these tests around 3 hours ago (through my oneplus7pro phone and ipad Pro)

But I just rerun a test now from my macbook pro (sitting just opposite the router) and I got the below. As you can see it is on 5Ghz, the Tx Rate is >1.000Mbps (so no wifi issue) and the speed was just 31mbit!!! This is similar to what i experienced earlier today (sometimes speeds go up to 400mbits and sometimes they just drop to 30-40). I'm getting same numbers with speedtest.net 

Before my upgrade today I was always at the max (350mbits) everywhere in the house and all the time.

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 21.40.54.jpeg

I now went back to my router setup and change the settings to the following (ac only from the a/n/ac mix):

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 22.02.24.png

 And finally I see some higher speeds:

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 22.02.14.png

 Is all this normal and what should be the right settings? (obviously can't have speeds drop to 30mbits when I'm paying for 1 gig)

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re-did test (no changes in setup, same position next to router with laptop) and now get again 40mbit.

Could the hub be problematic? Cannot believe I'm getting such low speeds for wifi sitting next to router. Very disappointing after an upgrade

Screenshot 2020-11-19 at 00.06.32.png

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

What speeds do you get in other devices?

The speeds you pay for are the speeds delivered to the hub and can be made by a compatible wired device only. Not Wi-Fi. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have tested it with following devices across the home (and next to router):

- oneplus7pro

- ipad pro

- macbook pro

- macbook air

Speeds range from 500mbit in some cases down to 30mbit....and the fluctuation happens on all devices from time to time. I understand that the speeds are to the hub, but still I would expect to get similar speeds from the hub through wifi as I did with hub3. With Hub3 I had constant 350mbit (i was on 350 plan) on all wireless devices anywhere in the house. Switching to a more expensive plan and new hub (for which I paid extra) to now have much worst wifi speed (and 30 is just way too slow) makes no sense.

For example I am now a floor away from router, the wifi has full strength signal (and TX rate of 702Mbits) yet the speedtest shows only 13mbit!!!! Could it be something wrong with the hub? It feels bad to pay more, pay extra for new router and get worst service (if this is the case perhaps I need to request to go back to my hub3 [still have it] and 350mbit speed)

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Step 1 is to not use 20/40 on the 2.4Ghz band - use 20 only.

Step 2 is to set the 5Ghz WiFi to n/ac - I found that having it on "a" only made things slower

Step 3 set a fixed channel for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands rather than Auto

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Switched off 2.4Ghz completly and did steps 2 and 3.

I can get around 300mbit and a bit better but still underperforming (was getting 350 before with less cost).

Is hub4 not ideal for wifi in general? should i use just for modem and get a better wifi router or do i need perhaps extenders?

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@riverphoenix78 wrote:

Switched off 2.4Ghz completly and did steps 2 and 3.

I can get around 300mbit and a bit better but still underperforming (was getting 350 before with less cost).

Is hub4 not ideal for wifi in general? should i use just for modem and get a better wifi router or do i need perhaps extenders?

Correct ^

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to repost here but this is getting ridiculous. I did all recommendations and now I basically have 1 device connected (macbook pro laptop) just sitting opposite the router (1 meter away) and I get 40mbit!!!!!! 

You can see the TxRate is 1,300 Mbps (so no issue of weak wifi signal since i'm just 1 meter opposite the hub4) and yet I get 40mbit!!!

If hub4 is not even capable of running 1 wifi device at over 40mbit speed why even send this router out? Can someone help or should I just phone to request a refund and move back to hub3 and 350mbit deal (i was getting 350mbit on wifi with hub3 [with exact same laptop]).

Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 02.05.24.png

Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 02.05.12.png

0 Kudos