Menu
Midgo
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4 upgrade phone call

Had a call tonight from someone claiming to be from Virgin Media asking for my fill name and address to send me a free hub 4, I refused to give any details but want to check if this is legit? Had anyone else been called? 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub 4 upgrade phone call

Some customers have had outbound calls offering a Hub 4, because they're subject to over-utilisation problems.  But the agent should have your name and address already.  "We now can offer upgrade router free, you give me all your details" is a common scam call, so you're right to be suspicious.

So it could be genuine, but since VM seem to have run out of hubs at the moment (to the point of demanding decrepit Superhub 2ac's back from departing customers), it's far more likely the call was a scam.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Midgo
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for the reply. I suspected as much. She did know my name but asked for the 1st line of my address. 

The number she called me on was a legit Virgin Media line (though I know they can be spoofed).

I might try and call them on my desk day off.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @Midgo

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for your first post - sorry if our call to you about the Hub4 didn't come across as genuine. When we call our customers, we will usually confirm the first line of the address to ensure we have got the correct account in front of us. Many times, the contact number we have may be for a 3rd party so it's always best to check.

Once we have confirmed the first line of the address and that we are chatting with the account holder, we can then go through security with you. 

After locating your account I can confirm that the call was genuine and the notes from the agent are listed on the account for you. 

Whilst we had a low stock of our Hub3's we do not have a low stock of Hub4's and these are in the process of being distributed to customers who may not be on our 1Gb packages. If you wish to take us up on the offer, please do feel free to give us a call on 150/03454541111

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I'd have asked the rep for the 2nd ,5th and 7th letter of my password! SOmetimes security has to work both ways!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos