cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 signals

TAZMANUK
Knows their stuff

Could someone check these hub 4 download and upload channel and signals if they are ok, as speed issues are worse on hub 4 after swapping out hub 3 to see if it would fix the issue, holding out for hub 5 😕

Screenshot_20211031_091646_com.android.chrome.png

Screenshot_20211031_091658_com.android.chrome.png

Screenshot_20211031_091713_com.android.chrome.png

21 REPLIES 21

TAZMANUK
Knows their stuff

Hi thanks for that much appreciated, the first engineer upped the signals at it was -3.5 and said need then raising to about 7 because I have 4 V6 boxes and 1 hub.

And also changed something in the internal white housing in the living room and also updated the splitter that is in the living room to 1 V6 box and hub 4.

Thus didn't fix things and it turned out hub 4 was at fault and was replaced by 2nd engineer, again checked the connection in the white internal housing and checked everything was tightly connected via the 2 way splitter. That seems to have fixed the upload speed and sudden drop out of internet connection.

On this community forum they said they have checked and all is green and signals are ok, if the pre rs errors aren't to worry about I should be ok.

But still can't figure out why my area is still on obsolete 16 QAM  upload stream.

They won't issue another engineer is their isn't a problem I can see other than they should have upgraded the 16 QAM.

As in theory we are supposed to get 1 10th of download speed for our upload speed around 96 to 100 meg however they have left it at 1 5th for 1gig, but other tiers you get 1 10th.

So if they decide to up the 1 gig to 100 upload I'll be struggling to reach that on 16 QAM I suspect

Modulation level (the QAM number) is negotiated by the hub, it isn't a setting that can be readily changed.  Due to the way DOCSIS works, there's a lot of resilience built in, so it is possible to see channels dropping without affecting reliability and speed.  If speed is what you hope for, then best to ignore the hub's status data, as looking too long encourages digital hypochondria.

You're probably right that the upstream would struggle at 100 Mbps upload, but as far as can be seen there's no sign of plans to upgrade 1 Gbps customers' upload speeds.  VM have been doing selective customer trials of 2.2 Gbps for a good while now with the Hub 4, and you might reasonably guess a commercial 2.2 Gig offer will have 110 Mbps upstream.  But worry about that if you get offered it, pay the possibly significant premium price, and you then don't see the upload speeds you want.  Should you ever be in that situation, bear in mind that VM only guarantee the download speeds, so buying faster D/L packages because you want higher U/L can have certain risks.