Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4 modem mode not connecting to Mesh

Hi, I recently upgraded to 1gig broadband and was sent a hub 4. I found like many others that the wifi strength was very poor and worse than hub 3. I purchased a TP Link Deco M5 mesh system on recommendation for another forum member. However, when I switch the hub 4 to Modem Mode and connect the ethernet cable, either to a laptop or the the Deco M5 unit, the hub 4 is not recognised. The only way I can get it to work is to leave the hub 4 in Router Mode and then the ethernet connection either to a laptop or Deco M5 unit is recognised and everything seems to work. The only "downside" is that the Deco wifi network and the Virgin hub 4 network are both present in "available wifi networks". I have obviously connected to the Deco network.

Question: is there a known issue with hub 4 in Modem Mode (I have seen a few other threads discussing issues connecting via ethernet in Modem Mode) and is there any issue with the Deco M5 being connected when the hub is in Router Mode? It seems to work fine....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub 4 modem mode not connecting to Mesh

If you’re using modem mode you have to set it up correctly.

First is to make sure the deco is set up in router mode.

Then when the hub is in modem mode, power it off.

Power on the hub only with nothing connected to it by Ethernet and allow it 5 minutes to settle.

Then connect just the Deco unit to the bottom Ethernet port and power that on and allow It to initiate itself.

All further Ethernet connections need to go via the Deco and not the hub.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@gary_dexter wrote:

Power on the hub only with nothing connected to it by Ethernet and allow it 5 minutes to settle.

and making sure the light turns magenta, which means it has connected successfully

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@spgray wrote:

@gary_dexter wrote:

and making sure the light turns magenta, which means it has connected successfully

Hub4.
The light stays white regardless of what mode it’s running in.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@gary_dexter wrote:

Hub4.
The light stays white regardless of what mode it’s running in.

that's annoying.
of course, it's silly to think they wouldn't be annoying!

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all, that has done the trick!

0 Kudos