cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 keeps resetting wi fi defaults

guilbert
Dialled in

Moved to 1G broadband a month ago and got a Hub 4.

After getting it all working I changed the default wi fi SSID and password as all the devices we have are set up to use the wi fi logon details we had on the previous router.

But in the last month the Hub 4 router has rebooted itself (on its own) 5 times and taken the router back to its default SSID and password.

At first of course we just think wi fi has gone down so switch the router on and off.

But when we then try to connect a device we find that our "new" SSID is NOT listed but the default SSID name IS listed.

I then have to logon to the router and change the SSID and password.

If I am in the house then this is of course fairly easy for me to do, but if I am out the house none of my family would have any idea how to change the SSID so they are stuck with it till I come home. 

Any reason our Hub 4 is doing this as it is rather annoying.

156 REPLIES 156

Hi

No it has not resolved itself. There is simply no visibility of the 2.4Ghz channel for my printer or ware heating.

I have managed a work around as the extended downstairs is dual channel so have connected to that instead for now however the hub should be showing directly on a dual channel basis (wps does not work either with a 2.4Ghz connection) - any ideas ?

Hi macraes

To be honest this is beyond me 

I guess it can be checked again after a Factory reset, if you wish to try that 

Gareth_L

Hi,

Yes I tried that to no avail. I can only assume the hub isn't working correctly?

JulianB1978
Tuning in

I have exactly the same issue so I'm guessing this is NOT a hardware error and actually a software bug where the setting isn't being properly persisted between cold boots. It's freaking annoying as certain devices in the house only work on 2.4ghz (some of the Amazon echos and an older HP wireless printer). 

The old Hub3 didn't have this issue. 

I'm loathe to go with the default network name as we have about 30 devices that connect to the WiFi on and off and would also have to update the wireless repeaters we have around the home. 

Any ideas? 

Julian

Hi @macraes thanks for getting back to us.

Just for clarification, is it mainly the printer and ware heating that you're having this issue with?  Are all other devices connecting okay?

Regards

Lee_R

Hi JulianB1978

I am sorry you're also having issues with devices connecting to/finding your hub 4.  I understand your concern with doing a pinhole reset.  If it did come to replacing your hub you would have to re-connect all those devices.  I can ask a team  if there's any reported issues related to what you're reporting regarding the hub 4.

Regards

Lee_R

When did I say anything about a pinhole reset?

If I changed the hub, I'd just reset the WiFi ssid and password to what I'm currently using so that I didn't have to reconnect all my devices. That's what I did when I upgraded to gigabit and from Hub3 to Hub4. It'd be working if the thing retained the damn settings!!!!

Not a very helpful response...

There's quite a few people appearing to have this issue when the ssid is changed from the default, so I'm guessing you've got a firmware bug in the hub. 

Julian

Hi

Yes. Anything on 2.4GHz is not connecting and is not even showing as available.
5Ghz frequency visibility and connections all fine.

Thank you for your response @macraes

Have you tried the following link to see if your 2.4GHz is connected? https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-changing-your-hubs-wireless-channel

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hub 4 keeps resetting wi fi defaults on mine to and new installation on 13th to 2 time it's happened in 4 days only on 2.5ghz