cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 issues with BT Whole Home Premium

Bingham-nutter
On our wavelength

After 2 years of working absolutely fine my BT Whole Home Premium (3 Disks) connected to my VM Hub 4 only provide 5-10 mins of connectivity before dropping. I’ve factory reset the BT Disks multiple times, switched the master disc around and switched the Hub 4 on and off multiple times. 

When everything reconnects it works fine for a while then it loses connectivity and I have to try all over again.

Any advice how to trouble shoot the issue

Thanks 👍🏼

60 REPLIES 60

Funnily enough, I recieved a phone call from Virgin this afternoon offering to send out a Hub 5 to arrive tomorrow.  I accepted this offer.

It is pleasing to hear that this has solved your problem - and I hope it will sort things for me as well.

I’ve had the exact same issue as you since mid FEB and tried every possibility to fix the issue, so thanks for posting!!

I just got off a call with Virgin Media Support, who mentioned there was a firmware update on 14th February, which could be affecting the discs. Really disappointing as the BT premium package has been working like a dream prior to this date. 

Virgin offered 2 solutions;
1) Restart the Hub 4 (first thing I did when I had the issue) 

2) Sending me their own Wi-Fi booster (which I doubt will be as good as the 3 BT discs I currently have) 

I was hoping they would send me a Hub5 replacement, but apparently they’re out of stock. Fingers crossed, I get the same successful outcome as you.

I have now recieved my Hub 5. 

It has fixed the problem - the Whole Home Premium is now working as it did before the 16th February Hub 4 firmware update. From this I determine that the problem is the current Hub 4 firmware.  This problem does not apply to the Hub 5.  

I spoke to various agents over a few hours on Wednesday.  They all said that it is not possible to have a Hub 5.  I made a written complaint to Virgin about this.  On Thursday, I recieved a call from someone at Virgin offering to send me a Hub 5 and a stream box.  So they do have them.  I think it is a case of being persistent. 

Thanks for the update @Bingham-nutter, and I'm pleased to hear that the issuing of the new hub has resolved this issue for you.

Do please keep us updated with any further issues and we'll be on hand to assist where possible.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Minalll
Tuning in

Hi All

Having just returned home from abroad during this recent Hub4 firmware upgrade, I’ve been spending a heap of time trying to fix my flaky Wi-Fi. Like others I’ve had no problems previously with my Hub4/BT WholeHome set-up but it’s taken me a few days to catch-up. VM have ordered me a ‘pod’ to extend the Wi-Fi from the Hub4 but it sounds like the only real solution to this is to change out to a Hub5. 

I’ll see if the pod improves things if not I will have to push for the Hub5 swap out. Does anyone have any constructive ideas on the best way to achieve this to fix the black spots I currently have?

Ta. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
VM clear must of said “make the hub look better then BT stuff” and the magic genie granted VM wish.
---------------------------------------------------------------

@David_bn

How do other VM customers that have this issue, get the resolution to this known problem?

I cannot see a way of requesting a Hub4 to Hub5 swap out. Currently I have very limited Wi-Fi coverage in my home and some of my Wi-Fi connected devices are off-line and cannot be moved (i.e. 2 cars, power system, heating controls etc.). 

How do I progress a hub swap?

thanks in advance. 

No one can be 100% sure what the problem is but there are at least 3 accounts in this thread alone which attest to the fact that pre-Hub4 firmware upgrade everything is fine —> post Hub 4 upgrade it’s not. 

IMHO demand a hub5 which fixed the issue for me immediately rather than waste more time trying to replace VM pods with working BT Mesh. 

Good luck 🤞 

Call VM and except nothing less than an engineer visit  to test the system but they must also have a hub 5 with them as you know others with the same issue and that fixed it. 🤞 

And when the technician arrives, be sure to show them this thread so they are advised of the problem. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.