Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4 in modem mode to Asus router caps at 820±mbs

I recently upgraded from the 500 -> 1gb and replaced my hub 3 with hub 4, in modem mode. I have an ASUS AX-11000, my wifi speed is around 1300mbps but when I do speed tests they seem to cap at about 820, and downloads from reliable sources about 95MBs. I am wondering if the bottleneck is the lan between the hub 4 and ASUS router, since the hub 4 doesn't support WAN Aggregation (Why not I dont know) when the speed into the router is known to be 1.1gbps+.

Is there anyway to verify or does anybody else have a similar experience. I understand 820 is not bad, but its only 82% of what i'm paying for.

Thanks.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4 in modem mode to Asus router caps at 820±mbs

820Mbps is suspiciously close to 866Mbps which is where some of the WIFI bands max out.
what is your ethernet connected speed like? the max you'll get there is around 940Mbps (the theoretical max you can get from a gigabit ethernet port).

also, why would the hub support WAN aggregation? you only have 1 incoming WAN connection, so what would you be aggregating it with?

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

In regards to the WAN aggregation, the ASUS router supports connecting 2 ethernets to 2 ethernet ports on the modem, to get a 2gbps connection over LAN since the hub 4 only has 1gbps ethernet ports and the ASUS has both 1 and 2.5 gbps lan.

All i can see on my router config is the router has a 1000 mpbs lan connection to the router, then I use WiFi to my PC using Wifi 6, which says it has a 1.2gbps WiFi connection speed.
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

To do any kind of proper troubleshooting you firstly need to to follow this method ...

What speeds do you get at >> Sam Knows Real Speed << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

then ...

Using the same cable from the speed test between Hub and Asus and a cable between Asus and device download a  file test file from >> Think Broadband << and do a timed test to see how it compares to the expected time.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@seanlintern wrote:
In regards to the WAN aggregation, the ASUS router supports connecting 2 ethernets to 2 ethernet ports on the modem, to get a 2gbps connection over LAN since the hub 4 only has 1gbps ethernet ports and the ASUS has both 1 and 2.5 gbps lan.

All i can see on my router config is the router has a 1000 mpbs lan connection to the router, then I use WiFi to my PC using Wifi 6, which says it has a 1.2gbps WiFi connection speed.

if it's the same as my Asus RT-AX88U (AX6000) then that feature is LAN aggregation not WAN aggregation.

also, don't confuse WIFI "connection" speed with actual thruput speed.
my WIFI6 laptop is connected at 2.4Gbps over WIFI, but the rest of the LAN is still gigabit.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

What speed do you get wired direct to the hub and not via the Asus router?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@seanlintern wrote:

Real world WiFi speed vs actual, based on 'connection speed' is roughly half to two thirds:

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html#wifi6 

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Just copied this from a >> Lifewire article << ...

You'll experience wide variation in the actual and theoretical speeds of most current Wi-Fi networks:

TheoreticalActual
802.11b11 Mbps5.5 Mbps
802.11a54 Mbps20 Mbps
802.11g54 Mbps20 Mbps
802.11n600 Mbps100 Mbps
802.11ac1,300 Mbps200 Mbps
802.11ax10 Gbps2 Gpbs

What's Next?

Technically, the next wireless communications standard will be 802.11be (Wi-Fi 7), likely to be finalized by IEEE in 2024. Practically, however, 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6) is still gaining ground over 802.11ac (Wi-Fi 5).

Factors Limiting Wi-Fi Connection Speeds

The disparity between theoretical and practical Wi-Fi performance comes from network protocol overhead, radio interference, physical obstructions on the line of sight between devices, and the distance between devices.

In addition, as more devices communicate on the network simultaneously, performance decreases due not only to how bandwidth works but also the limitations of the network hardware.

A Wi-Fi network connection operates at the highest possible speed that both devices, often referred to as endpoints, support. An 802.11g laptop connected to an 802.11n router, for example, networks at the lower speed of the 802.11g laptop. Both devices must support the same standard to operate at the higher speed.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Connected with ethernet directly to my ASUS AX11000 I get around 960mb so looks like theres a little issue with my wifi as i get about 840mbs there using an ASUS AX200 pci-e card. Guess ill have to live with it tbh.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Your getting good speed either way so thats the end of that.

---------------------------------------------------------------