cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 in modem mode - not working

smwatson90
Joining in

Hello 

I am really struggling with signal from the Hub 4 so have purchased a pair of TP Link X20 to use as router & mesh to see if that changes things. 

I logged in and changed my Hub to modem mode. Connecting through ethernet cable with laptop shows that has worked. 

However, the Hub is still broadcasting the old SSID and the light is solid white (not green as I expected with recent firmware update). The X20 acting as router is not receiving anything. 

I have tried following the order of things previously posted. Obviously Virgin media help is utterly useless. 

Any ideas?

17 REPLIES 17

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I have seen this problem before, I think the fix was a pin hole reset of the hub. Of course it will need putting back into modem mode afterwards. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

I've done that cycle a few times, which eventually got it to actually function as a modem in modem mode. But still pumping out a pointless network. 

I can't get the Hub admin page at 192.168.100.1 to work either via WiFi (through mesh) or ethernet cable (into hub or new router). I'm trying to change the Hub "WiFi" SSID so at least devices should stop trying to connect to a non-existent version of the network. Is there a workaround? 

So frustrating having such a dreadful bit of hardware as a requirement for VM. 

@smwatson90 wrote:

So frustrating having such a dreadful bit of hardware as a requirement for VM. 

Any bit of hardware can be made dreadful with firmware. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Have yu tried to remove the SSID from the router and remove the password that way it cannot join that SSID without any password etc, as I use modem mode and I removed any SSID details before switching to modem-only mode just a thought?

Is there a way to do this while it is in modem mode? Otherwise I think I'll need to do another factory reset, turn off/change SSID, switch to modem only and restart, then hope it works? 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You can turn off the Wi-Fi individually within the WiFi settings. 

Are you properly resetting the Hub? After the 60 secs you must leave the Hub to restart in its own time, don't interrupt it. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Yes, have reset it a few times. Every time leaving it to switch itself back on which takes an age after the stupidly long 60 second reset hold.