Menu
Meganmc06
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4 fan running constantly

Spoiler
    I installed the new Hub 4 today and the fan has been running non stop from the second it was plugged in.  It's quite annoying.  The room is not overly warm- under 20 degrees and it is on a cool hard surface.  Very basic setup, literally just the hub and three devices connected via wifi- two phones and a firestick.  Anyone any suggestions? 
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4 fan running constantly

Do a pinhole reset of the device (that'll revert any settings you've changed back to defaults), see if that helps.  If it doesn't then the hub needs replacing, and the forum staff can help with that.  What colour is the LED showing?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
conman33158
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have the Hub 4 and the Hub 4 fan will run constantly at a slow rate, barely noticeable unless the room is really quiet, if it's running hard and fast it would indicate too high an ambient room temperature. I have 2 servers with fans in the same room plus a desktop PC fan running and a fan running on my surround sound system so I don't notice the Hub 4 fan sound as much 🙂

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello Meganmc06

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the forums in regards to your new Hub 4 and  the fan running. Welcome to the forum.

It's been a few days since your post so we're just checking in to see if any of the advice offered by the forum member's has helped?

Were you able to carry out the pin hole reset and if so, did this help resolve the issue? If you need us to help further please let us know.

Rob

0 Kudos
Meganmc06
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rob,

I did the reset but the fan is still running.  Can you confirm if the fan should be running (even low) 24/7 ? Or should it just kick in now and then when the hub gets hot? The hub is also warm to touch at the top.  It's in a quiet room so it is distracting.

Thanks,

Megan.

0 Kudos
Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to us @Meganmc06.

As mentioned by @conman33158, the Hub 4 fan runs constantly at a slow rate and should be barely noticeable in a quiet room.

What lights are currently showing on the hub? How is your service on wired and wireless devices?

Please get back to us when you can.

Thanks, 

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Meganmc06
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Service is good on wireless, no complaints in that department.   I don't have any wired.  The light on the hub is solid white.  The noise of the fan is definitely noticeable, we have a TV in that room and it can be heard over the TV at times, I wasn't sure if this was normal or not.

Thanks,

Megan.

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Unless you are watching 'library live-feeds' - you shouldn't be able to hear the fan over TV!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to us @Meganmc06

In this case, I have messaged you privately to further look into this and resolve it. Please look out for the purple envelope on the top right hand corner of the page and provide a response when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Meganmc06
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

Just an update, an engineer came today and replaced the Hub 4 with a new one.  It is running great and the fan is indeed imperceptible as it should be.  Thanks for everyone's assistance. 

Megan