cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 changing SSID’s back to default

Jayhub4
Tuning in

Hi there!

Ive recently been upgraded to the Hub 4. Really enjoying it. Much better speeds and signal strength throughout the home now the issue! I’ve changed my SSID’s (WiFi name and passwords)  over to my own personal ones and separated them 2.4 and 5ghz. Now it keeps on changing the 2.4ghz back to the original. When I’ve logged into the settings page the up time is a low time meaning that it’s rebooting its self and changing ONLY the 2.4 back to the original. Bad thing is my home security is on the 2.4 so it’s all being disconnected without me realising.

I understand the most common answer being I should just use the default SSID for the 2.4 but I’ve got a ton of smart home devices so they’ll have to be setup again so looking for an easy fix.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for reading!

192 REPLIES 192

Replacing the hub is not going to work.

As i have seen a lot of posted complaining about it, most people don't change there SSID so would know about the problem.

It must be a software fault or bug.

Do you know when this will be fixed?

@Richard785 wrote:

Replacing the hub is not going to work.

As i have seen a lot of posted complaining about it, most people don't change there SSID so would know about the problem.

It must be a software fault or bug.

Do you know when this will be fixed?

my hub 4 is running with the default ssid at the moment - i had changed a few settings and the easy way to get things back was a reset - but before that i had a changed ssid and that never changed - no idea how long i have had the hub4 but its many months so its worth plugging a new one in - worse case is it will not help

but a fix to the bug if it is that is sometime - no time - never in all probability 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Hi Richard785, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this. 

I can understand how frustrating this must be for you but as it's only affecting a very small minority, it would take longer than say an issue that affected most, if not all users. The teams are aware and so hopefully a fix is found soon. 

In the meantime, as mentioned by savvychels, it's worth having a look at the workaround posted earlier in this thread to see if this helps and if offered a replacement hub, go for it. If anything it will at least rule out a fault with your Hub. 

Keep us posted with how you get on. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I also have this issue and it is extremely annoying that it hasn't been fixed so many months after the issue was raised. What is the status of the fix?

richardburns
On our wavelength

Same problem. Brand new Hub4, upgraded to the Volt 1gb package. This is infuriating and makes house stuff like CCTV, alarms and smart plugs drop off and need repairing. Which is a mammoth task. Every single time the router is rebooted, powered down, unplugged and replugged in, or anything.

Any ETA on fix? As a programmer myself I can’t grasp how such a simple problem can be ongoing for the best part of the year.

Seriously poor from VM really for it to take this long. 

With the Hub5 due will this even be actioned?

EDIT: I’ve also noticed the 2.4ghz channel Wi-Fi is painfully slow compared to 5ghz - 30-40mbps on 2.4ghz, 400-600mbps on 5ghz. Previous Hub3 did not exhibit this behaviour.

@richardburns OK but as a programmer yourself, you will be aware of the chances of what might seem to be an easy fix but actually introduces yet another problem.

If you were a firmware programmer at VM would you, honestly, be prepared to say to the bosses ‘I’ve coded this fix for the WiFi problems and will absolutely, 100% guarantee that it will in no way impact any of the other 6 million (or so) users in any way whatsoever?*

Here’s the problem, most VM users never ever delve into the settings of the hub or indeed have any issues with IoT devices, if indeed they actually own any. The tiny, tiny majority who do, well tough, VM are absolutely NOT going to run the risk (however unlikely) of catastrophically breaking things for the majority to fix an annoying issue for a minority.

* and if you are prepared to make such a promise you are either a) incredibly brave, b) a liar or c) a really rubbish programmer with no concept of the impact of what they are doing.

@jem101 It’s clearly not a minority though is it? It’s the Hub4 as a whole. I asked others with the same hub and they have the same issue but haven’t bothered writing on forums about it and just tolerate it. I’ve wrote software for the past 20 years across multiple languages and know for a fact this issue won’t be difficult to resolve in the slightest given the fact that behaviour of the SSID for the 5ghz range allows it to be variable too, and that one is without issue. 

They wouldn’t build in ability to change it in the first place if it wasn’t able to be saved to memory so it’s probably something very minor or a simple ambiguity somewhere they can easily modify. 

Your reply is unhelpful and suggests Virgin shouldn’t be even looking at fixing this clearly global SSID naming problem. 

Virgin clearly acknowledge it’s a problem and suggest turning the smart Wi-Fi channeling off as a temporary fix, so it must be on radar to sort it out. But with introduction of the Hub5 in the pipeline it seems to me the easiest thing is to not bother and probably get it right in the Hub5, but that’s a poor strategy here.

Best course is push a fix, worst case is at least admit they can’t and it can’t be resolved. To do nothing for 8-9 months isn’t an acceptable outcome really is it? 

Hi all,

It looks like it has been fixed?

Just has to reset hub 4.

It has not reset back to default SSID 

Have they fixed it or was it a fluke?

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Richard785, 

Thank you for updating us, I have checked your account and power levels all look okay, how is it looking on your end?
Zoie

I had this recur following a factory reset recently. It’s not fixed, just intermittent.