cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 changing SSID’s back to default

Jayhub4
Tuning in

Hi there!

Ive recently been upgraded to the Hub 4. Really enjoying it. Much better speeds and signal strength throughout the home now the issue! I’ve changed my SSID’s (WiFi name and passwords)  over to my own personal ones and separated them 2.4 and 5ghz. Now it keeps on changing the 2.4ghz back to the original. When I’ve logged into the settings page the up time is a low time meaning that it’s rebooting its self and changing ONLY the 2.4 back to the original. Bad thing is my home security is on the 2.4 so it’s all being disconnected without me realising.

I understand the most common answer being I should just use the default SSID for the 2.4 but I’ve got a ton of smart home devices so they’ll have to be setup again so looking for an easy fix.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for reading!

192 REPLIES 192

Over a year and no fix.

As soon as sky get 1gb to my house good bye VM.

Hi both, 

We understand it is frustrating and we can only apologise. 

Hopefully you won't be waiting to much longer for a fix. 

We will keep you posted once we have any news on this. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Same issue here, new expensive plan.

It's a security issue: the name/password are effectively permanent and can't be "rotated" if details leak. It leaves customers without a way to lock out a previous home visitor from joining the wifi in future.

It might even break Virgin's compliance with some security/privacy standards.

Not following your reply here..?  The issue only remains on the 2.4ghz channel. The 5ghz channel saves the information and works as intended. 

To stop access all you’d do is change the password or forget the known devices so they are prompted to log back in. 

The issue is data being saved to the 2.4ghz setting. This has gone on so long it’s probably not even going to be fixed in this router. More like the next model will incorporate the fix and no doubt we’ll be afforded the luxury of having up upgrade once again. 

The problem is if you change the password, at some random point in future it will change back on the 2.4ghz channel, leaving it vulnerable. As 5ghz stays the same you may not even notice the problem.

I seem to have the problem sorted. I contacted VMware tech and got a decent guy on there who understood the problem straight away. I now have 2 separate Wi-Fi log ins, one for 2.4ghz and one for 5ghz. I’ve managed to pair up every device with no problems whatsoever, there’s only one light bulb not responding but I’ll get that done 😊😊😊

Does anybody have an update or solution on this? We've just switched to Virgin and this is really, really absurd. Years without a fix! It causes issues with my smart home devices & printers - as well as WiFi range as we're only using 5GHz on the network saved to all devices.

Initially it happened after I rebooted the router a few days ago, but upon noticing it today and trying things such as disabling Smart Channel Optimisation, it's now happened after a few hours with no reboots.

Short of buying separate WiFi access points or using the default VM SSID/password across 2.4GHz and 5GHz - is there any current solution or workaround?

Put hub in modem mode see if it changes back to router mode if not get your own wifi router with 1Gb port.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Not really a solution though as we would have to pay for the Wi-Fi router.

@sparky3366 Did you read the previous messages? This has already been spoken about.
1, Why should anyone have to buy extra equipment to make it “work”?

2, i already have the extra equipment anyway, but rely on the 2.4 for certain products that find it hard locking on to the my eero 2.4 signal. 

There is STILL no proper fix for this. its just ridiculous!