Menu
Senscall
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4 and smart plugs

Trying to connect Teckin smart plugs to the Hub 4 through the Smart Life app on IOS 14

I've tried disabling 5GHz on the hub and only using 2.4GHz, but the plugs cannot connect to the hub using either the automatic process or a manual add.

These plugs connected without problems to the Hub 3 and can still connect to my parents (BT) router.

So before I donate the plugs does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for smart plug brands that definitely work with the Hub 4.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4 and smart plugs

Have you enabled b/g/n on the 2.4Ghz band rather than just g/n it defaults to?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Senscall
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Just tried enabling b/g/n but it didn't solve anything.

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hey there Senscall and sorry to hear about the smart plugs issue you're having.

I'm unable to advise on the third party smart plugs but I've had a quick peek at your network details and can confirm that everything is okay at our end. If you have any issues with your connection without the third party smart plugs, do let us know so we can help.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Leeroy123
Joining in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi. 
Have exactly same problem. Worked fine until got new Hub4 and wont connect after, All other devices that use 2.4ghz work fine and were able to reconnect after change (Used Same Name and password as old one).  Even tried a new plug that had never been used to connect before and that still doesnt work. 

Did you find a solution. 

0 Kudos
g0akc
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@Lisa_CC wrote:

I'm unable to advise on the third party smart plugs but I've had a quick peek at your network details and can confirm that everything is okay at our end. If you have any issues with your connection without the third party smart plugs, do let us know so we can help.

Thanks,

Lisa

Checking the network details is pretty pointless in this case. 

I suggest Virgin Media (and their supplier, Arris?) role here is to ensure that their Hub is compatible with a wide range of devices including popular smart plugs.  I've seen a couple of reports regarding these plugs.  It might be worth reporting that back to the VM team responsible for the Hub, in the interest of a good customer experience. That said, this could of course be an issue with that particular type of plug. 

I've recently had trouble getting some cheap Chinese smart plugs to pair with ether a Hub 3 or a BT Hub and eventually got a refund for the plugs.  I've found the best (easiest to connect and most reliable) are the Amazon or Google own brands that work with their smart home solutions and don't need a third party app to control them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
ski2020
Joining in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I have the same issue with Hub 4 and teckin plugs. Have had no issue with them until new Hub 4 router was fitted yesterday. Have tried all the solutions discussed on the forum with no success. 

Disabled 5G, used 2,4G only: no success

Tried manually setting the channels: No success

Tried the different channel modes: No success

Split SSID into two for 5G and 2.4G: No success

I understand the Hub can be used as a modem but would like to not add extra complexity and have the Hub 4 router work as expected.

I cant see any definitive solution on the forum. Are Virgin Media planning a solution for this as it will start to effect a large amount of customers as the new Hub 4 is rolled out?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@ski2020 wrote:

If you want assistance please start your own thread.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@g0akc wrote:

@Lisa_CC wrote:

Thanks,

Lisa

Checking the network details is pretty pointless in this case. 

I suggest Virgin Media (and their supplier, Arris?) role here is to ensure that their Hub is compatible with a wide range of devices including popular smart plugs.  I've seen a couple of reports regarding these plugs.  It might be worth reporting that back to the VM team responsible for the Hub, in the interest of a good customer experience. That said, this could of course be an issue with that particular type of plug. 

I've recently had trouble getting some cheap Chinese smart plugs to pair with ether a Hub 3 or a BT Hub and eventually got a refund for the plugs.  I've found the best (easiest to connect and most reliable) are the Amazon or Google own brands that work with their smart home solutions and don't need a third party app to control them.

Have you though that maybe it it the environment that is the problem ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@g0akc wrote:

I've recently had trouble getting some cheap Chinese smart plugs to pair with ether a Hub 3 or a BT Hub and eventually got a refund for the plugs.

if there is one thing you never want to plug in your electricity sockets it is anything that you would call "cheap chinese".

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos