cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 and WiFi - Splitting the 2.4 and 5.0Ghz broadcasts

Eponemuss
Tuning in

Hi All,

I've just upgraded to Hub 4 and 1Gig service. It's early days yet and I'm giving the system chance to bed down before I pass judgement on it. 

I have a novice question on WiFi. I have some smart plugs that will only connect to 2.4GHz signal. Connecting them to WiFi has been problematic in the past and they frequently 'fall of' the WiFi altogether, despite being right next to the Hub (3). Should I separate out (rename) the individual 2.4 and 5.0 speeds to ease connection? If I keep them under the one name, does that affect the ability of the smart plugs to connect?

Also, I have a VM WiFi booster. With the Hub 3, it separated out the 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz signals. When upstairs on the opposite side of the house to the Hub but right next to the booster I could connect to the 5.0 GHz broadcast and get very good performance. With the Hub 4 they're no longer showing up as two separate signals as presumably they are both going under the same SSID?

Thanks in advance.

11 REPLIES 11

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I did a search some time ago for my daughter, who is on BT, and there were lots of problems reported with Ring devices on various ISPs.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi, how did you manage to split the broadcasts? I can only see one renaming possibility on VM hub4?