cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 and Sky Q issue

Pyrotechnic
On our wavelength

Ive recently been given an upgrade to a Hit 4 and installation went as easy as it could. I spent the time required to connect everything and all works well, except my Sky Q set up. 

I connect to it all OK and then if my children want to watch a YouTube video or Netflix, I find that it hangs half way through. I then go to check the connection and see it has crosses. I then have to go through set up and enter the password each time. When it loses connection, the rest of our devices are fine. It just seems to be a Sky Q issue. Never had an issue until I changed the hub, so inclined to think its a setting or similar rather that a Sky Q issue. Hub 3 worked flawlessly for years, but I've sent it back now. 

Any advice much appreciated. 

25 REPLIES 25

Im trying to find a slot to carry out the reset and reconfigure when the rest of the family have stopped Teams meetings 🙂 It appears college is being run virtually for my children at the moment and if I disconnect them I will get hung. 

Hopefully this weekend at the latest. I will update this thread. Im still concerned at the list above showing devices twice. Hopefully a reset will fix this, a reboot hasn't. 

Ive also noticed I can't go through he pages within the Hub setting easily neither, I end up with black pages and have to log out and back in and then go straight to the page I want. Browsing the left hand menu simply doest work 😞

Thanks for coming back to me @Pyrotechnic.

Please do let us know how it goes when you can schedule the time to get your reboot done.I hope that this can clear all the issues that you're having.

Regards

Steven_L

I wish I could post better news, but I am still having the same issues. 

All my devices connect to either the 2.4ghz or the 5ghz and work fine. The SkyQ box will only connect to 2.4 which I believe is the only one it will connect to as I am not a SkyBB customer. I now have the 2 connections and have made numerous settings changes as detailed above but the SkyQ box still keeps losing connection. Ive never had this issue with the Hub3, so its got to be a Hub4 issue. I also still have double entries listed in the devices connected panel, which apparently is not just myself after looking through these forums. 

I have to say, the rest of my devices have connected with no issue and stay connected as well as having decent speeds. Other that the duplicate entries, its just the SkyQ box having issues?

Hi Pyrotechnic,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I have reached out for any advise but haven't been able to get any further due to it being your Sky Q box having the issue.

Regards

Paul.

William2911
Joining in

Hi. I've been trying to resolve this issue myself since switching to the hub 4. Like someone else suggested, I think it's to do with 5g interference. Switching the channels didn't help, nor did disabling 5g on the hub. 

However, I think disabling 5g on the sky q box has solved the issue (early days still). You can do this by scrolling to settings then hitting 001 before enter. This takes you to a hidden menu where you can disable 5g. 

Note, I don't know if this would impact any mini boxes you have. I don't use any so doesn't matter for me. Plus sky q can't use the Virgin 5g so no downside I can see yet....

Ive actually fixed this after looking at reviews on how poor the new Hub 4 is in terms of its WiFi capability. I have refrained from posting in order to not tempt fate. However, I simply had to switch the Hub 4 into Modem Mode, spend £100 on a router and I now get better WiFi all around the home, the SkyQ works perfect and I have more control over renaming the devices, which was another issue I had. I even have WiFi in the furthest part of the house which I never had previously. 

All in all I have resolved the issues, but its cost me a router. In a household with children at college and lessons by teams, its a no brainer. Wish I had done this with the Hub 3. 

For those interested, I bought a TPLink Archer C80 AC1900 MU-MIMO Dual Band Wireless Router.

I’ve just been upgraded to hub 4. And have to say, it’s poor as far as tech goes. I have my Q box connected via Ethernet, a mini connected over power line and a mini connected via wireless. This worked perfectly fine with the Hub 3, now it drops out all of the time, the dchp client list is completely wrong. Now the Q mini keeps dropping the connection saying it can’t see the internet or the Q box. Reset everything, it connected and about 3 mins later it drops. Tempted to rip out the 4 and put the 3 back in and get a proper piece of kit.

Oh and another thing, the UI is terrible, navigate between pages and you get a blank. Then have to log in again. 

Oh and to add, when on the hub 3 I could even add a switch before the sky q mini and share the poweline connection with Apple TV. And all was well, even taking it out it doesn’t work. 

Signed back into my hub3 and it worked straight away. Have been playing with the hub4 as an access point, turned off the firewall and the dchp, plugged it to the powerline setup and used it as a access point with Ethernet ports on, SkyQ passing through it no problem, it’s either a firewall issue or something to do with the dhcp. 

Did you reset your network settings on your Q boxes when you changed to the Hub4?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi