cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 and Sky Q issue

Pyrotechnic
On our wavelength

Ive recently been given an upgrade to a Hit 4 and installation went as easy as it could. I spent the time required to connect everything and all works well, except my Sky Q set up. 

I connect to it all OK and then if my children want to watch a YouTube video or Netflix, I find that it hangs half way through. I then go to check the connection and see it has crosses. I then have to go through set up and enter the password each time. When it loses connection, the rest of our devices are fine. It just seems to be a Sky Q issue. Never had an issue until I changed the hub, so inclined to think its a setting or similar rather that a Sky Q issue. Hub 3 worked flawlessly for years, but I've sent it back now. 

Any advice much appreciated. 

25 REPLIES 25

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Its a wonder it works at all its like VM have hubs with random bugs for their router mode and then it takes years to fix them.

Your likely going to need a new wireless router with 1Gb ports and have the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

paul1276
On our wavelength

If your Hub 4 and Sky Q box are close connect them with an Ethernet cable, it will be much more reliable. I have a Hub 4 and 2TB Sky Q box connected via Ethernet and have had no problems. If you must use WiFi try using different SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5GHz channels and then try connecting the Sky Q to each of those in turn to see if one is stable. The Sky box transmits it’s own WiFi signal to connect to MiniBoxes and this might be causing some interference.

Too far away I am afraid. This Hub 4 has got to be the worst piece of kit I have owned. Ive been with Virgin for years and never had so much trouble. Wish I had ket the Hub 3 as it worked flawlessly. I can't even keep my wireless light switches connected to the hub. 

For some reason the devices list shows everything listed twice. Not sure this is normal.?

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @Pyrotechnic 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues there, I have run though a few checks on our end using the details you signed up to the forums with.

There doesn't appear to be any obvious issues. Have you tried to use different SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5ghz as advised further up by @paul1276

Kind regards,

Zak_M

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Pyrotechnic,

It seems odd that the device list shows everything listed twice. have you tried a reboot or a hard reset of the hub to see if this updates the list correctly?

Changing the SSID's is very good advice so you can choose which band your devices connect to. 5Ghz is faster but the signal is weaker.

I believe the Sky Q mesh uses 5GHz on channel 36.

If the SkyQ and the hub4 are on the same 5GHz channel they may be interfering with each others signals. If this is the case I would try changing the hub 5GHz channel.

You could download and use a  Wifi Analyzer app on a smartphone, or tablet, which will show you if both devices are using channel 36.

The app will also show how congested the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi bands are, so you can use that info to change the various channels and get a better overall signal.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Ive tried rebooting but still see 2 of the majority of connected devices after the reboot. I have not tried restoring to factory, which I am tempted to do?

I am presuming the advice above means change the Names of the Networks (SSID), so I have a 2.4ghz and a 5ghz network both with different names and separate passwords?

Sorry, its all very confusing, but I would like to fix it.

Screenshot 2020-09-15 at 20.07.37.png

Use these instructions, they are for the Hub 3 but the Hub 4 should be similar ...

You may be as well refining your Wi-Fi management, it will certainly help keeping track of your Wi-Fi frequencies.

Best done with a cable connected device.

Instructions for Hub 3

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

When you connect the devices do it at the furthest point from the Hub that the device will be used.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Thanks for the advice. Ive just remembered I had an issue with the hub 3 a few years back and disabled the optimisation and it worked a treat. I don’t see that option on the hub 4. I’ll give all the advice above a try. 

Not sure on the double entries on the device list. Hoping the image shows the issue

Really appreciate the help,  thank you

Hey Pyrotechnic,

Have the suggestion of the community been able to help you get your issue with your hub 4 and Sky Q resolved?

Regards

Steven_L