cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 and Orbi Mesh

philr123
On our wavelength

I currently have my Hub 4 connected to an Orbi Mesh Wifi Hub (with Orbi as a router not as an AP and the Hub 4 as a modem).

Wifi speed on the 5G wifi from the Virgin hub is c.200mbps (even beside the router) but the speed from the Orbi is only 60-70 (despite it being connected by ethernet cable to the Virgin router that is getting 500-600 mbps).

Turning the Virgin Hub into a modem made no difference.

Any ideas highly appreciated - I have had two Virgin engineers out now and a new Virgin Hub but they do not understand why even the wifi speed from the hub is so low (given only 2 competing wifi routers and we are on an uncongested channels and speedtesting directly beside it)

Cheers

Phil

12 REPLIES 12

@philr123 wrote:

Hi found it

100M Full on LAN 1 (where it is connected)

the speed is still 60-70 with no wireless signal from the Hub 

Cheers

You won't get a wireless signal from the hub when it's in modem mode either, it is just a modem when in modem mode, nothing else.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900

You should connect a pc with a gig ethernet port directly to the hub (in modem mode) to see what speeds you’re getting down from the hub directly to a pc without the orbi in the middle.. this should give you a good indication of whether you’re getting 600mb down to the modem. NB in order to do this, you will need to disconnect everything from the hub, reboot it, and once rebooted connect your PC to one of the ethernet ports...

as for the orbi.. if teh physical link between modem and orbi is negotiated at 1000mb then it feels more likely to be something like QoS that is limiting the speed.. have you turned any form of QoS on? When you switch it on, it should do a speed test and will use the speeds it gets during that test to implement a bunch of QoS rules.. if when you ran that test it was only getting 60-70meg then it’s likely to have implemented a setof rules that will manage traffic within that limit.. you can reset the threshold by running another speed test from the QoS pages in the Orbi management pages, and you want to do this when there’s little/no other traffic on the network. 

philr123
On our wavelength

As an uodate I have upgraded the router to the 1 gig service and whilst there is still a significant drop in speed between Ethernet connection and the Orbi WiFi even when stood directly by the router it is now 3x faster so works fine