Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4 Wifi issues

I've recently got the new Hub 4 and the WiFi is terrible compared to my Hub 3. Unless I am in the same room it struggles badly with video calls and Skype calls. I've got a WiFi extender to try and its not better. Its massively affecting my working from home!

Does anyone know if I can just plug my Hub 3 back in and use that again? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4 Wifi issues

Not directly as the Hub 3 would have been removed from your account when the 4 was activated. You would need to call up and see if the Hub 3 can be reactivated on your account.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As for the Hub 3, no you can't just plug it in.

While in the same room as the Hub 4 can you use an ethernet cable to connect to the Hub ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thats annoying! so annoyed I changed it over now!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

my issue is my Home office is in a different room to the router. I had no issues with the Hub 3 but with Hub 4 my Skype and video calls are struggling massively and really jittery all the time as I don't have full WiFi signal. I got an extender but its not really made much difference. Usual Web browsing and everything else is fine though

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Any kind of video communication uses high bandwidth. You could try knocking down the settings on your webcam to make a saving on bandwidth.

Can you string an ethernet cable between the two rooms as a temporary measure ?

If the two rooms are adjacent it might be worth looking at a couple of decent Power Line Adaptors.

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is very poor and have spent money on third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

If you remove all the internal walls, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from a VM Hub.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

not seen the settings pages on the hub4 but if you had reported poor wifi on a hub3 then the first advice would have been to split the wifi channels and turn off smart wifi - you certainly will be able to split the channels so if you have not do that and see if it helps - if there is a setting for smart wifi - turn it off

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

thanks all. Spoke to Virgin and they've let me switch back to Hub 3 now. thank god back to normal now and all working well. My advice keep hub 3 if you switch to hub 4 just in case your WiFi is terrible!

0 Kudos