Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4 Smart Devices

So I've seen this problem mentioned a few times, but not actually seen a solution?

I've just upgraded to the Hub 4, thinking to myself, great, something better... Big disappointment!

I like my smart gadgets, sockets, lights, tv etc. With the hub 3, no problem, everything worked in sync as I expected, but come to the Hub 4, I haven't got myself so stressed and wound up like I did last night in a very long time. Why can certain devices not connect.

Harmony, fine. Alexa, fine. Govee, fine. Climate, fine. But come to Jinvoo, Smart Life, Tuya, it's an absolute nightmare, that's lightbulbs and power outlets that I just can not connect!

I've tried all the options I've seen in the other posts, 2.4ghz, channels 1, 6, 11, and so on. What am I missing? Why do all these connect perfectly fine with hub 3, but refuse with hub 4? Does anyone have an answer?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4 Smart Devices

3 is greater than 4, but 4 doesn't mean better than 3.
the general advise is usually to simply put the viring hubs into modem mode and use your own, more powerful, router.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

As spg says above.

On the Hub 3 did you have different SSIDs for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz broadcasts ?

Factory reset all those devices that won't connect.

Switch off all those devices that are connected.

Connect the devices that wouldn't connect one at a time, once that it done reconnect the remaining devices.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'll apologise in advance for any offence taken....

It needs to be asked:  How much have you spent on smart home gear?  From the items you name I'm thinking around about a grand or so.  And you expect a thirty quid "free issue" ISP router to be an acceptable way of connecting them?  That's like putting remoulds on an Aston Martin.  Or having your Loakes resoled at Timpson.  Or using medicated Izal on your ringpiece.  Or drinking vintage wine out of a paper cup, etc etc

Stop messing around, stop believing that a crapola commodity grade router can meet your needs, get your hand in your pocket and buy yourself a decent router or mesh wifi system.  Since you're a fairly demanding user you might want to look at a Wifi 6 mesh system, although that's looking like three hundred quid or so.  And I suspect it may be necessary to recommend that you avoid stuff like Amazon/Eero, Google/Nest, and BT branded stuff.  It all works, but unless you get it on a stonkingly good offer it's poor value compared to gear from companies who make decent wifi hardware for a living, like Asus, Netgear and TP-Link.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The cost should be irrelevant. If they all worked perfectly fine with the Hub 3 then why shouldn't they work with the newer Hub 4?

Using your anaology, the hub 3 becomes the vintage wine in comparison to the hub 4

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@dsinclair85 wrote:

The cost should be irrelevant. If they all worked perfectly fine with the Hub 3 then why shouldn't they work with the newer Hub 4?

Using your anaology, the hub 3 becomes the vintage wine in comparison to the hub 4

It would but now you are drinking Tizer.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@dsinclair85 wrote:

This is a recent "fix" by VM regarding the poor wifi from the Hub 4.  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Another-quot-Hub4-Problems-quot-Post/m-p/44...

This is the second time I've seen posts in these Forums where VM have replaced the Hub 4 with a Hub 3 to resolve wifi issues, so I'm guessing you could try the same approach?

0 Kudos