Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 Modem Mode - can't access Console

martin_skipsey
Tuning in

Just received my shiny new Hub 4.

I have a Mesh Wifi system to cover my house, so followed these steps:

1) Plugged it - everything worked, but obviously had Virgin Wifi enabled as well as my mesh

2) Logged into Admin Console using 192.168.0.1, changed the default password. Everything still fine

3) Switched to Modem Mode, and the Hub re-started. Internet came back up, so seemed fine.

BUT: I can no longer get to the admin console. 192.168.0.1 just times out, as does 192.168.100.1.

Tried the Virgin Media Service Status check, but that doesn't work for Hub 4 yet.

Any ideas?

23 REPLIES 23

g0akc
Problem sorter

If the hub is in modem mode the IP address should be 192.168.100.1 which you've apparently tried.

Next I would try a different browser/clear my cache and try again to to be sure.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

sophist
Trouble shooter

what mesh system did you buy?

it's possible that it is configured to block from "private" (RFC1918) address space out of its WAN port..

g0akc
Problem sorter

then, can you ping it?

at 192.168.100.1 or even 192.168.0.1 ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Tried that - same result. request just times out.

Tried pinging both 92.168.100.1 and 192.168.0.1. Don't get a response.

I'm using Tenda MW12 Mesh. Worked brilliantly with Hub 3, and that seems to be working with Hub 4 too (I'm getting full bandwidth WIFI, close to 200MB which is what I purchased from Virgin).

So the only issue is I can't connect to the Virgin Hub console, so can't see any settings and can't obviously change it back to router mode if I wanted to..

what is your LAN address space configured to be?

Tenda nova defaults to 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0 but it seems you're not able to reach that address, so just wanted to confirm.. 

It’s always best to do a factory reset on the hub before putting it into modem mode 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

• What is the local IP address of the device you're using to access the hub (e.g. your laptop)?
  • What Address range has been set up on your router? - What I'm getting at is are they on the same subnet as the hub?
  • Can you connect directly to the hub 4 with an Ethernet cable, with the Router unplugged - manually assign an IP address on the device (e.g. laptop) if necessary - 192.168.100.x - then ping it/try the GUI - so there should just be the Hub then the laptop  - own router totally out of the equation

Tenda Mesh is set up system defaults.

Address space seems to be: 192.168.5.1/255.255.255.0

Gateway Tenda box is 192.168.5.1, and all the other devices attached via Tenda Wifi have 192.168.5.x addresses.

The Tenda device is set to DHCP (I think this is correct given the Virgin Box is in Modem Mode). There are no other settings you can make through the Tenda App for DHCP.

I tried connecting a laptop to the Virgin Media box direct, but it wouldn't connect. I'd need to do some research on how to manually allocate an IP address to test that properly.