Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4 Modem Mode Issue

Installed my new Hub 4 which worked. I then set it to modem mode so I could use my Asus RT-AX88U router which is have set up to be the DHCP server.

It is connecting to the internet but only at 100Mbps according to the port status on the router and the speed test is showing at 90Mbps. I am on the Gig1 package and was recieving speeds before setting to modem mode of 800Mbps+.

I have connected the ethernet cable between port 1 on the hub and the wan port on the router.

Only things plugged in are the Hub to the router, and one cable from my router to my pc's ethernet port. I have followed the instructions found in another post in regards to plugging in one at a time and waiting for the 5 mins for the hub to reboot before turning on the router. I have confirmed that the routers firmware is up to date as well.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be as I'm stumped. Its as if the router is only recognising the hub's port as 100Mbps not a 1000Mbps port. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub 4 Modem Mode Issue

Hello

One thing I would certainly check is the cable that is running from the hub to the router, first would be to check if the cable is at least Cat 5e will normally be marked on the cable, if it is Cat 5e next I would replace that cable with a known good cable of at least Cat 5e, personally would recommend Cat 6.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hey

Thank you. I had used two different cables Cat 6a and a Cat 7 from the same brand which have worked at 1gig on multiple different switches and with my hub 4 in router mode and my asus router in access point mode and had worked every time. I then went and found the basic Cat5 cable that was in the Asus box that came with the router and it is now working. This makes no sense to me but it works so not touching it now lol. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Could have been a dirty connection and the act of unplugging cable and plugging back in clean the contacts.

Your welcome, if you have any more queries by all means come on back to the forum we do have a great team of VM staff members, VIPs and normal customers with a great deal of knowledge. Stay safe and have a great weekend.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos