Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4 Intermittent

So I received my Home Hub 4 on Monday and got it set up as soon as I got it. First couple of tests were grand 110mb/s etc, but every few hours the internet drops, both wired and wireless. This causes issues with the smart bulbs that I have as they turn on at full brightness when they lose Wifi as a safety measure. But because of this, they don't reconnect to the wifi and I can't get them off. Also happens during Movie streaming which is very annoying. 

Hoping for a firmware update soon to fix this as I'm pretty unhappy with the service so far.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4 Intermittent

sounds like a line issue rather than a firmware issue.
did you get a hub4 because you upgraded to the 1Gbps package, or a hub4 to replace a hub3 but remained on lower package?

post your line stats.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I got it and remained on the lower package, I fell for the "you were selected" email they sent me. Never had this issue with the Hub3 and I had it for about 18 months. 

I get this message when I "check service status" so thats helpful.

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

i would see if you can revert back to the hub3.
the hub4 is not necesarrily a better hub, and in some cases it doesn't handle lines with small issues as well as the hub3.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Define Line issues? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

a line issue is anything issue that is between your hub and the cabinet/head end.
ie nothing within your control.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Um possible, I live in Northern Ireland so...I'm amazed I was even offered the Hub 4

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

why amazed?
the hub4 is being offered to customers in DOCSIS 3.1 areas where there may be conjestion issues, and moving them from DOCSIS 3.0 to 3.1 is helping to aleviate that, putting you on a hub4 has moved you from 3.0 to 3.1

however, the hub4 is less forgiving to lines with borderline issues. the hub3 is able to workaround those and you might never have seen a problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@spgray wrote:
why amazed?
the hub4 is being offered to customers in DOCSIS 3.1 areas where there may be conjestion issues, and moving them from DOCSIS 3.0 to 3.1 is helping to aleviate that, putting you on a hub4 has moved you from 3.0 to 3.1

however, the hub4 is less forgiving to lines with borderline issues. the hub3 is able to workaround those and you might never have seen a problem.

Because customers in Ireland are setup with virgin media IE not the same one used here. 

https://www.virginmedia.ie/

However they have just enabled gigabit for their entire network in NI:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/11/virgin-media-bring-1gbps-to-3-million-people-in-london...

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Usually new things "exclude NI" 

I do know they are doing work around the area every so often so they must be trying to boost the service (I'm about 2 mile from Belfast City Centre). I'll maybe hold fire for a week or 2 and if it doesn't get any better I'll probably request the Hub3 back

0 Kudos