Menu
Bluey0121
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4 Do I need a router

Hi Guys I moved house last month and decided to get the 1Gig package with the Hub 4, I had it fitted last Saturday and the WiFi signal is terrible looking on here I'm not to only one with issues. I'm not very technical but I read up and get by when I need something done but I'm not sure where to start here.

I see a lot of people don't rate the kit you get with Virgin anyway and get there own router to run in modem mode I don't mind spending some money and it needs sorting but I don't know where to start could someone please let me know of some kit that would work well with the hub 4 maximum speed is not my aim but I'm after something stable to run a smart home and run plenty of devices together. 

I can't stand a two year battle with Virgin I would rather get it sorted.

Cheers people

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4 Do I need a router

See this - will be free to you so worth a try..

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/01/virgin-media-uk-launch-plume-powered-intelligent-wifi-...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Bluey0121
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks mate it's worth a go.

Cheers

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Do you want to run any cables?

how much do you want to spend in total?

what’s the property like? (Size, construction type I.e modern construction / plasterboard or big thick stone walls etc..) 

You may get away with a single decent router, or you may need to deploy additional mesh nodes or access points. If deploying additional mesh/access points, the gold standard is to wire these back to the primary, but that can be a lot of hassle so many folks opt to rely on the wireless mesh instead.. cabling stuff up is obviously more costly too..

but let’s start with the answers to the questions at the top and I’m sure plenty of people will offer an opinion 😉

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The ZyXEL Armor G1 would go well with 1Gb package
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZyXEL-Armor-Multi-Gigabit-AC2600-Router/dp/B08KGSQWTT/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&k...

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos