cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 - 2.4 Ghz signal

si1980
Tuning in

Hi all!

Brand new install here after returning to Virgin media.

I have an issue where the 2.4ghz signal from the Hub 4 is extremely slow.

1. If I connect to Wifi in any area where the 5g network is preferred by any of the devices i've tried, the speed is fine (between 400 & 600mb). 

2. If I move a short distance to where the 2.4ghz signal is preferred, the speed slows to between 10 & 20mb). Even if I return to the router whilst the connection is still established, there is no improvement, until the device switches back over to the 5g signal now that it's back in range.

3. If I disable 5ghz and stand next to the router, the speeds are still extremely slow (again - 10-20mb), no matter which device I test.

Is this particular router likely to be faulty??  I'm really struggling to use a wok computer that sits exactly where it did the last time I had virgin broadband around 18 months ago (router was also exactly where it is now).  This area was always just on the very edge of the 5g signal, but always had a very strong 2.4 signal in the old setup.

If this is normal behaviour for this particular router then i'm going to cancel and look elsewhere!

Thanks in advance 🙂

4 REPLIES 4

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's normal for 2.4ghz to be slow, it's not a fault. Perhaps you should invest in a powerline for your old work laptop to avoid using WiFi

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated and helpful to know!

In that case there must be a difference in range between this version and the last version of the hub, as I struggle to get any signal (where my work comp is) at all with this set up, and whilst I didn't always have a fast connection previously, it was always stable.

The device is capable of 5g - its because of where it is rather than what it is, so will address as necessary. Cheers!

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If it can do 5ghz then that's a great thing, perhaps a mesh system or if your a oomph customer a free booster from Virgin 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @si1989,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting.

I have taken a look at the account and the only issues relating to WiFi I can see is that one or more WiFi devices are very close to the Hub and could be wasting valuable WiFi bandwidth. Connecting them via Ethernet could improve things for other WiFi devices and overall WiFi performance. And at least one WiFi device could perform better on the 5GHz WiFi band.

Regards

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs