Menu
Tbones
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 with external router

Ever since I have had Virgin Broadband the wifi range is amongst the poorest I have ever had. 

I live in a 4 bedroom Bungalow all on one level and the wifi drops out as soon as I get into the next room which is not great.

In fairness to Virgin they have given me 2 wifi boosters which generally only cover the areas that they are in as they are not much good either.

I am new to community help and have only just started to read some of the feedback and comments regarding this issue.

It seems to me that the best way forward is to but another router and connect it to the Hub 3 box with the Hub 3 in Modem mode. 
With that said I would like cheap recommendations as to what to buy for the best and is it as simple as connecting it to the Hub 3 and leave it next to this hub with the new router being able to give me the range across the bungalow. 

What I want to do is what i have said above but I also want to keep the boosters on to give it that little bit extra range. My current set up is Hub 3 box with ethernet cable going to 1) the V6 box 2) my TV 3) Virgin Wifi booster 4) tplink booster system. So what I think I need to do is to connect a new router to the Hub 3 with an ethernet cable going to the V6 box from new router and then also my tv plugged into my new router. I believe my tv could go wirelessly if needed to.

Any advice would be great.
Thank you
Tony

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 with external router

It can be a little tricky to get modem mode set up in the first instance as there’s a specific sequence you need to follow too get it all working, but that’s something folks here can help with.. 

In terms of what to buy.. imho you’d be better off ditching the boosters and replacing the entire setup with a wireless mesh. Boosters are the least good way of extending a network.

I don’t know what “cheap” is to you, but for reliable stable coverage across the property expect to be spending a minimum of £100. 

A 3 pack of the TP link deco M4 would probably meet your needs - it varies in price from 100-130.. you would only have one ethernet port on the primary device (after connecting it to the hub) so you’d have to choose either your TiVo box or the tv to connect to it with the other connecting over wireless..

Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I'd concur with @tehwolf 's suggestion, and I have the mesh system he suggests - an excellent piece of kit.

I would caution that if the bungalow has solid brick internal walls, then whilst a mesh should greatly improve things, it may still struggle in places.  Types of brick vary in density and composition, some are OK-ish, others can be virtually impenetrable by wifi signals, in which case the signal propagates through the bungalow via doorways, or reflected signals bouncing off walls or even through the roof space.  My house has this type of hard brick for the external walls, and it reduces speeds to very low double digit megabits where the walls create radio-shadows.  If this applies, you might need to run ethernet cables from the secondary mesh units back to the primary if the performance still isn't what you want, but you can try a mesh system in wireless mode, see how it works, and then add the cable links only of needed, but it's worth giving some thought to beforehand.

Another option (depending on your mobility, safe accessibility, power supply, and whether the loft space is dry and weatherproof) would be to site a new router high up in the loft space, and have it "looking down" through the ceilings, so long as they aren't foil-backed plasterboard.  Normal plasterboard is virtually transparent to wifi signals.  If thinking about that, work safely, and trial it with temporary trailing power and ethernet cables before making the effort to put it in place properly.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

If you can get cables up to the roofspace, consider using PoE access points.  These are ceiling mounted and look like smoke alarms and easy to install. They should easily provide wifi coverage of the property.  Something like Unifi AC Lite or AC Pro.

Tbones
Tuning in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I really appreciate all of your help and guidance.

What I do not want to do is to go and buy something that will not work. 

Is there an easy way of realising what I need for the bungalow, perhaps using a phone app or something.

Also it was mentioned about buying the D-Link DIR-X1860 EXO AX1800 Wi-Fi 6 Router with Gigabit Ethernet Ports. After reading up on this it is just the matter of plugging it in to my Hub 3 router. I also like the idea of using loft space. So if I was to use an ethernet cable from the Hub 3 in modem mode and put the D-link router in the middle of the bungalow this should then cover the whole of the bungalow as it will be able to go through ceilings? 

Am I right in saying the way to check to see if the ceiling is metal lined I just take up the loft insulation and if there is metal it will be on the topside of the ceiling panels? Sorry I am being a bit thick here lol.

In terms of putting this into the loft then would a cheaper TP link one like the 
TP-Link Archer A7 AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Cable Router, Combined Wi-Fi Speed Up to 1750 Mbps, 4 Gigabit LAN Ports, 1 USB Port, Supports OneMesh, Parental Control, Guest Wi-Fi, AP Mode, VPN. Be okay as well.

Once again thanks for help

Tony

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@Tbones wrote:

I really appreciate all of your help and guidance.

What I do not want to do is to go and buy something that will not work. 

Is there an easy way of realising what I need for the bungalow, perhaps using a phone app or something.

Also it was mentioned about buying the D-Link DIR-X1860 EXO AX1800 Wi-Fi 6 Router with Gigabit Ethernet Ports. After reading up on this it is just the matter of plugging it in to my Hub 3 router. I also like the idea of using loft space. So if I was to use an ethernet cable from the Hub 3 in modem mode and put the D-link router in the middle of the bungalow this should then cover the whole of the bungalow as it will be able to go through ceilings? 

Am I right in saying the way to check to see if the ceiling is metal lined I just take up the loft insulation and if there is metal it will be on the topside of the ceiling panels? Sorry I am being a bit thick here lol.

In terms of putting this into the loft then would a cheaper TP link one like the 
TP-Link Archer A7 AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Cable Router, Combined Wi-Fi Speed Up to 1750 Mbps, 4 Gigabit LAN Ports, 1 USB Port, Supports OneMesh, Parental Control, Guest Wi-Fi, AP Mode, VPN. Be okay as well.

Once again thanks for help

Tony

Short of buying something and testing it, i'm not sure how you'd do it (unless you know the construction materials used in your bungalow - you may be able to make some educated guesses based on when it was built and what was "typically" used at the time).

The loft idea is a sound one - it's where my access points are - and yes, you should be able to do a physical check to see if your plasterboard (and/or insulation) is foil-backed.

Thankfully, your distance-selling consumer rights protect you on this - if you buy one of the routers you mention and it doesn't meet your needs then, assuming you buy it online, you can return it within two weeks (if it's still in "as-new" condition of course) and buy something different. 

Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

If you go for ceiling mounted Access Points, you will not need to worry about the type of plasterboard. Personally I would run a cable from the Hub to a PoE switch in the loft. From this switch you can add as many AP's as are required. For a bungalow I suspect one at each end would suffice. These AP's get power from the switch via the ethernet cable and are a very neat solution.
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

For reference if you do go to modem mode you need to set up like this

Disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and unplug it. Put the VM Hub into modem mode (see VM website for “how to” details) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub must then be powered off. Then, set up your own router/Mesh with the WAN port set to be in DHCP & Nat mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the WAN cable to the VM hub. Now power up the VM hub and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Tbones
Tuning in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I am being dumb here ... what is PoE switch and AP please
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Power over Ethernet - the Access Points (AP) dont need plugging into the mains they get power from the router - The VM Hub does not "inject" power so the AP's usually come with an "injector"

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.