Menu
Zischkabeb
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 with devolo plus other mesh?

Hi all,

Have tried to read all on this in the forum and looking for a view on what the best solution is for me:

Have hub 3 

Need hard wired Ethernet to desktop PCs in other rooms due to gaming hence already have devolo 1200 adapters

Also was using 1200 AC access point to re broadcast the same WiFi (name and password ) as the hub 3 at back of house where hub didn't reach. 

Issue was singal dropping when moving between hub and devolo signals as they are not meshing I think. 

So I think my options are:

Buy separate provider mesh system. Am happy to spend 500 on the Asus one for example. Then obviously turn all other WiFi off, ie Hub and devolo.

Alternatively, I could change all WiFi to devolo mesh by adding a couple of more adapters broadcasting devolo mesh signal (including next to hub and turning hub wifi off). But I'm reading that devolo mesh is not really that powerful and I would need to reach pretty far away places for smart door alarms etc.

What is the preferred option here? Thanks in advance for any help,

Regards 

John

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 with devolo plus other mesh?

It’s down to you what to go with.

Yes a mesh system but as to which one it’s down to you. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Most mesh systems don't have sufficient spare ethernet ports to do what you describe - a simple ethernet switch would solve that.  But if money is no object, don't play around with a cheaper 802.11ac mesh, ignore crummy boosters and powerline adaptors, go for something like the Asus RT-AX92U that does have four spare ethernet ports on each node, is tri-band if you want to use wireless backhaul from the nodes, and supports Wifi6.  That's a seriously capable bit of kit, and your best option for future proofing.

Much as I'd like an AX92U, I'm happily using a MUCH cheaper (and slower, less capable) 802.11ac TP-Link mesh system, but with Wifi 6 now available it makes more sense to buy those systems if they are within the budget.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Zischkabeb
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks both for your responses.

Have tried two different mesh systems including nest WiFi and ended up sending them back. My house is thin and long, typical terrace. 

The mesh systems were not able to penetrate the solid walls so that I ended up having a mesh node in each room which was ridiculous. 5ghz is so poor in this regard that the backhaul channel must be useless under these conditions. 

So I've now gone with a devolo magic solution to see if that sorts it out. 

In this day and age with serious budget I can't believe this is so hard. 

0 Kudos
GaryGorilla
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I am having similar issue.  I have hub 4 and devolo magic wifi 2 next system.  This is meant to be a mesh system but I don't think I've set it up right.  Can't seem to get the seemless wifi when walking around.  How did you set up your devlo system?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@GaryGorilla wrote:

Hi, I am having similar issue.  I have hub 4 and devolo magic wifi 2 next system.  This is meant to be a mesh system but I don't think I've set it up right.  Can't seem to get the seemless wifi when walking around.  How did you set up your devlo system?

They’re powerline adaptors so not great and not a true mesh system. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos