Menu
Muppetloaf
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 wifi

So new to virgin and after reading other threads I know I'm not alone in having problems with WiFi on hub 3. I did buy a  d link ac1900 router on reading that it could improve my WiFi...it did a little but every speediest I do was coming out st 80mbp when I am on virgin 200. I cant see any settings in router I am missing so back to hub 3 I went and immediately was getting 150 on WiFi and higher on wired...tempted to send the d link back but was wondering if anything obvious I may of missed ? 

I have up to 18 things trying to access WiFi what with sky q and kids xbox live...any recommendations to just a good WiFi booster as I can potentially put most things on ethernet via a switch?

Thanks tim

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 wifi

Which model of D-Link router is it and does it have GB ethernet ports. Did you connect it in the right "sequence" to the Hub put into modem mode?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Muppetloaf
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yea it has gb lan and 4 gb Ethernet ports..that's why it puzzled me that speed test through this dlink were only seeing 80mb down and 20 upload.

Swapping back to 3 I have more or less what I pay for.

The router I bought was a dlink exo ac1900 with mcafee

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Muppetloaf wrote:

Yea it has gb lan and 4 gb Ethernet ports..that's why it puzzled me that speed test through this dlink were only seeing 80mb down and 20 upload.

Swapping back to 3 I have more or less what I pay for.

The router I bought was a dlink exo ac1900 with mcafee

couple of things you can check..

1. are there any QoS (quality of service) settings on the DLink that are active - this might be limiting the speed of your connection overall.

2. (the more likely) the connection between the hub and the dlink was only negotiating at 100mb, rather than 1gb - i suspect that there's a status page somewhere on the dlink where you could confirm this..

0 Kudos
Muppetloaf
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Qos was disabled i believe. There is a button to take a speediest on the qos page and use the settings but I never did as speed was always low.

One thing I notice on the d link app is that it never showed a speed on home page whereas YouTube videos of other people does..I did try and Google  a reason but no luck.

As far as seeing other negotiating speeds I cant see anything. I am back using hub 3 now and for the 100 quid the dlink was im sure I could buy something just to boost WiFi or is a router the way to go?

I certainly don't want pay vm 5 quid a month for boosters 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Muppetloaf wrote:

Qos was disabled i believe. There is a button to take a speediest on the qos page and use the settings but I never did as speed was always low.

One thing I notice on the d link app is that it never showed a speed on home page whereas YouTube videos of other people does..I did try and Google  a reason but no luck.

As far as seeing other negotiating speeds I cant see anything. I am back using hub 3 now and for the 100 quid the dlink was im sure I could buy something just to boost WiFi or is a router the way to go?

I certainly don't want pay vm 5 quid a month for boosters 

you could get yourself a decent access point for that sort of money. 

there's nothing wrong with what you've got though, and no reason that it won't work and provide the full speeds of your connection.. 

0 Kudos