Menu
Alann1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 wifi keeps dropping out

I switched from hub 2 to hub 3. With hub 2 I had no connectivity issues but from day 1 using hub 3 I have had a miserable service.

We are having to constantly switch wifi off and back on again to regain wifi. This applies to all our devices so it is not a device issue.

I have contacted customer service so many times but I'm no further forward. I pay over £100 a month for my Virgin package and this is just not good enough.

I've tried all the usual things like factory reset etc but to no avail. Why is the hub 3 so bad!

I will contact customer service yet again but if it can't be remedied I will have no option but to change provider.

Anyone contemplating switching to hub 3 PLEASE don't as you will regret it.

willygee
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 wifi keeps dropping out

I am having the exact same issue. I've had a Hub 3 ever since I've been with VM, but over the last year or so I've had drop outs on some devices, sometimes all devices. I'm constantly having to switch the Hub 3 off and on again which temporarily solves the issue.

As with you, it's not device related - I've got iPhones, Samsung phones, tablets, Apple laptop and a fair few smart home devices of various manufacturers all with this issue. I thought maybe this new 'intelligent wifi' they're marketing would fix it but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. I'm going to request they send a new Hub 3 and hope that might be better. Anyone have any ideas on this issue?
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Alann1 wrote:

I switched from hub 2 to hub 3. With hub 2 I had no connectivity issues but from day 1 using hub 3 I have had a miserable service.

We are having to constantly switch wifi off and back on again to regain wifi. This applies to all our devices so it is not a device issue.

Are your connectivity issues just restricted to wifi connections or are ethernet cable connected devices also having the same issues ?   If the ethernet connections are fine and it is just a new wifi problem appearing after switching to the Hub3 on day 1 - I would suggest putting the Hub3 into modem mode and using your own wireless router (or router + access point(s)) which should resolve you issues.  Can you borrow one to test that?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Alann1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, ethernet appears to be OK and when I do manage to connect to wifi on my mobile devices I get quite good speeds ... it's just that my devices lose the connection far too often, though strictly speaking it's not my devices, it's the VM router. I've read a lot of reviews, blogs, community help portals and so on and it seems to me that the Virgin Media Hub 3.0 is just not up to the job unless you live in a small box and sit with it on your lap with your fingers crossed.

I also came to the same conclusion as you and have ordered the Netgear Orbi AC3000 RBK50 mesh router and satellite so I'll see how I get on with that.

I wasn't looking forward to changing all my kit to a new SSID and password but understand that I can set the SSID and password to the same values as the VM hub so I'm hoping that will work and I don't need to connect everything up again. 

It's a shame that VM use sub-standard kit for today's modern home and that I'm having to fork out over £250 to make up for their penny pinching and shortcomings, but I've wasted too much time already on support calls and getting annoyed when wifi drops out again and again.

Hey ho, guess I'll vote with my feet when the contract is up as talking to VM does nothing.

jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The Hubs are basic entry routers and they are suitable for >90% of home users who arent complaing - hence nothing will change. For those with more demanding needs or who just want to control their own wifi environment then putting the Hub in modem only mode is the solution. They are perfectly good modems. You can get a pretty decent wireless router for around £70 - although of course the more you pay the more features you would get. I have always used that configuration as I do not want VM controlling my wifi environment and never want to ever call their CS to discuss wifi related problems with them.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Alann1
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

A quick update. I switched my Virgin hub 3 to modem mode and installed the Netgear Orbis  I kept my current SSID and password so didn't need to change access details on all my devices.

All went well, simple to set up .. got a ' no internet' message during setup but just unplugged the Virgin hub and powered it on again.

Early days but it's transformed my WiFi ... I get 10 times the speed where wifi was slow, great coverage over the whole of my garden and good coverage in my garage where there was zero coverage before.

That all great but the best thing is I haven't lost the signal from any of my devices so far .. let's hope it stays that way.

All this has just confirmed to me that the Virgin hub 3 is not a viable piece of kit and Virgin should be ashamed. I'm now going to try and get a discount on my service cost because Virgin are not providing the service I pay for.

jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Alann1 wrote:

A quick update. I switched my Virgin hub 3 to modem mode and installed the Netgear Orbis  I kept my current SSID and password so didn't need to change access details on all my devices.

All went well, simple to set up .. got a ' no internet' message during setup but just unplugged the Virgin hub and powered it on again.

Early days but it's transformed my WiFi ... I get 10 times the speed where wifi was slow, great coverage over the whole of my garden and good coverage in my garage where there was zero coverage before.

That all great but the best thing is I haven't lost the signal from any of my devices so far .. let's hope it stays that way.

All this has just confirmed to me that the Virgin hub 3 is not a viable piece of kit and Virgin should be ashamed. I'm now going to try and get a discount on my service cost because Virgin are not providing the service I pay for.

Good luck with that!  The answer will be that you are getting the speed you pay for, with an ethernet cable connection to the Hub. With WiFi you are on your own.

0 Kudos
markjbaker
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I just had my WiFi fixed by a Virgin technician.

I have been having drop outs, necessitating daily reboots. Also poor coverage upstairs, where the super hub was OK.

When the Super hub 2 was replaced with the hub 3, they re-used the power supply (wall wart) 

Apparently it turns out the old power supply is not up to driving the hub 3. Today the tech changed the power supply for a new on and bam! WiFi everywhere in the house, 189Mb. 

0 Kudos