Menu
olly3hb
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 wi-fi devices losing internet

Now we are working and schooling from home we are experiencing more problems with internet connectivity.

We get the odd device that loses the internet.  The wifi is stable but we get no internet connectivity.  After 20 minutes or so of rebooting/disconnecting the affected device(s) it returns.

Other devices in the household at the same time continue fine.

Other times the whole wi-fi goes down.  The Hub seems to have rebooted itself without warning, after 10 mins we can all get back on.

This is causing anger and frustration as it often happens during busy periods.  

Can this be due to a faulty router?  Or are there any configuration changes that can be done.  Currently the only fix is either wait or manually reboot the hub.  Neither are ideal.

Regards

Olly

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 wi-fi devices losing internet

Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

And what are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
olly3hb
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi John

We don't use the wired connections at the time.  To be clear this only happens to one or two devices at a time.  There is a separate issue where the hub craps itself then everyone gets disconnected.  But the issue I need help with is the individual devices losing internet connectivity.  

Lights on the box are unaffected at this point.

Cheers

Olly

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Assuming your wired connections are all ok (you need to "test" that) then as VM don’t “guarantee” speeds over wifi (only ethernet cables)

You could try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands on the Hub3 and also switching off "channel optimisation" and using a scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use - that often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

For that - VM now supply “wifi pods” (not “boosters”). These are only free to customers on the 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages, and so are worth trying if you are on one of those.   Otherwise, you will be charged £5/month - and at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own better quality wireless equipment (not extenders) which will solve any wifi issues permanently, and will be transferable to other BB suppliers kit should you move supplier.

Get either a…
(1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point or (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi @olly3hb

I'm so sorry to hear this is happening across your devices and thank you so much for taking the time to post in our forums. 

Can I ask if you have been able to connect any devices via Ethernet and run a speed test on them since you last posted? Have you been able to try any of the other suggestions mentioned above by our community? It may be worth splitting your 2.4ghz and 5ghz as advised above as I can see some congestion issues on your 5ghz when looking at your account. We have a video on how to manage your hub settings here.

Ash_C
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
olly3hb
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ash

Yes, connecting via Ethernet and speeds are not a problem.  The problem is only when connecting via Wi-Fi, as mentioned we have wireless connection to the hub but 'no internet'.   

This happens to individual devices so others are connected at the same time without issues.  I can try splitting the 2.5ghz and 5ghz.  How would I know froma device (say a tv or phone) which one to connect to??

Regards

Olly

0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi @olly3hb

Thanks for reporting back to us, sorry to hear this is consistent, 

I have noticed you did mention it happens on a few devices. 

With these devices, have you tried resetting or restarting these specific devices to see if this improves the issue. 

Secondly, have you tried "forgetting the network" on these devices then reconnecting to see if this makes a difference. 

Is your hub in a happy location to optimise the best strength possible for you devices? 

Thanks, 

Sasha  

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos