cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 - which Deco Mesh?

Midbaz
On our wavelength

Hi all

Since moving from my TalkTalk 75Mbps FTC and onto VM 280Mbps Full Fibre, our home wi-fi has been extremely unstable.  Also (and more the point of this question) where the TT router used to extend to all areas of the house (a 3 storey town house - new build) the Hub 3 seems to struggle to extend to the room next door!  

My wife and I both work from home and end up having to hotspot to a phone for many of our Teams calls as it gives us a better quality call than the VM broadband.

With an electric vehicle headed our way very soon I need to do something about this as the car will need to hook up to the home broadband for software updates etc.  Deco Mesh seems to be the way to go but there are many versions and I run out of tech nous.

So, any advice on which Deco to go for to cover a 3 storey house, 280Mbs, etc would be gratefully received.  I can then start worrying about how to connect it all up 🙂

20 REPLIES 20

Midbaz
On our wavelength

Fair question.  It's a 3 story house so my intention was to place one by the front door (mostly to ensure the car would connect), one on the middle floor, and one on the top floor.  #firstworldproblems

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Yep. 

I'm an M4 owner, really pleased with the product and happy to recommend TP-Link, but the M4 is now obsolete.  Look for the newer S4 or S7, cheapest you can get from a reputable supplier.  No point spending more for a circa 250 Mbps connection.  You will see some wifi speed drop off on wirelessly chained mesh nodes, don't worry about that, just enjoy decent coverage for all reasonable needs.

on the subject of stupid questions.

I have just changed my VM/hub 4 in to Modem mode and installed 3 x Deco X50's. All is fine, but can anyone confirm if having the hub in modem mode disables the ethernet ports in the V/M 4 ? 

I had my PC and a TV connected directly to the V/M4, but both lost internet access so I had to wire them into the X50 which is now the only device wired to the VM hub

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Yes, running the hub in modem mode means only one ethernet port is live.  As the hub's router is a pretty gutless affair, it's best to let any modern mesh or standalone router do the job properly and keep the hub where it belongs in modem mode.  If there's a shortage of ethernet ports then spend around fifteen quid on an unmanaged ethernet switch, which is a grand title for an ethernet port multiplier.

Yep, I'll do that
Thanks

Midbaz
On our wavelength

I’ve just ordered the X20 x 3 and will be in the same position I.e. tv and Soundbar are on Ethernet. Any recommendations on the ~£15 ethernet switch would be appreciated. Looks like you can get some which are powered and others which aren’t. 3-4 outputs would future-proof it for me. My broadband is 280Mbps should that make a difference. 

Midbaz
On our wavelength

Forget that. Bought one of these:

TP-Link LS105G 5-Port Desktop/Wallmount Gigabit Ethernet Switch, Splitter, Plug & Play, Desktop, Steel Case,Black https://amzn.eu/d/9lWv8UL
https://amzn.eu/d/9lWv8UL

Hi there, thanks for the detailed instructions. 

I have successfully connected Deco E4 via ethernet to VMHub3 and get decent wifi, but whatever I try (VMhub3 as Router or modem and Deco E4 as the inverse of those) I get the same result: as a standalone router the VMHub3 gives me >125mb, but the Deco gives me ~70mb.  Is that just inherent in the mesh tech or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Hi Jimmy44 👋🏼.

Thank you for coming back onto this thread 😊.

Please can you put it in router mode and then do the tests. 

You can also try using our connect app as well. 

Let us know how you get on.

Thank you. 

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The E4 only has 10/100 Ethernet, so you will never get any better. You need units with 1GB (10/100/1000) ports. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks