cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 - which Deco Mesh?

Midbaz
On our wavelength

Hi all

Since moving from my TalkTalk 75Mbps FTC and onto VM 280Mbps Full Fibre, our home wi-fi has been extremely unstable.  Also (and more the point of this question) where the TT router used to extend to all areas of the house (a 3 storey town house - new build) the Hub 3 seems to struggle to extend to the room next door!  

My wife and I both work from home and end up having to hotspot to a phone for many of our Teams calls as it gives us a better quality call than the VM broadband.

With an electric vehicle headed our way very soon I need to do something about this as the car will need to hook up to the home broadband for software updates etc.  Deco Mesh seems to be the way to go but there are many versions and I run out of tech nous.

So, any advice on which Deco to go for to cover a 3 storey house, 280Mbs, etc would be gratefully received.  I can then start worrying about how to connect it all up 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The most expensive one you can afford. More facilities better reach higher price.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

20 REPLIES 20

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The most expensive one you can afford. More facilities better reach higher price.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Tudor is quite right... most of the extra costs come with getting extra features - mainly... wifi6, 3x MUMIMO, triband connection, more powerful wifi , etc- but do you need them ?

I have posted this before...
Recently, just as an example... three of my friends who all live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (~£150) and all said it is - “absolutely brilliant with excellent wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”.

The first Mesh unit becomes the new router (or connect in access/bridge mode if you are happy with your Hub's router (most of us aren't!). You need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features” you need. Ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2/unit , so you “may” need to add in an unmanaged GB port switch (<£20) in there as well. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations.

Finally if you get a 2/3-pack of any Mesh system, which doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s).

The cheaper S4 AND M4 Decos are also good basic introductory models

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Midbaz
On our wavelength

Brilliant.  Thanks all.  i guess I'll have to decide how much I'm prepared to pay.  I do have the tv and soundbar connected to the Hub 3 ethernet ports so it looks like i may need one of those switches.

Whilst we are here its stupid question time:  I hear people talk about putting the Hub 3 into modem mode.  How do I do that?  Is it part of the setup for the Deco Mesh?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just follow these instructions:

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta, on a Hub4 the LED band will be green, on a Hub5 the LED will be green. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP (for some routers or mesh this may have to be done in router mode before entering modem mode)

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money. On a Hub5 use port 4.

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note1: this only needs doing once for each new router or when VM changes your WAN IP address.

Note2: If you have a Hub4 and your own router is NOT 192.168.0.1 then it’s possible that you can still access the VM hub on 192.168.0.1

Tudor

Midbaz
On our wavelength

In the spirit of 'spend as much as you can' I'm looking at the X20 x 3 units.  Looks like each unit has 2 ethernet ports so I won't need a separate switch.  It's wi-fi 6 so feels like its future-proofed for a bit.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Good choice 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Midbaz
On our wavelength
OK. i'm on a roll with the stupid questions so here comes another: with the Deco Mesh, does the 'master' have to remain connected to the Hub 3 by Ethernet cable, or is that just during setup? I was hoping to put that one at the front door to help the new car connect to the home wi-fi but that will be less certain if I can't fit a mesh unit there (the hub is in the lounge at the rear of the house).

Midbaz
On our wavelength

OK. i'm on a roll with the stupid questions so here comes another: with the Deco Mesh, does the 'master' have to remain connected to the Hub 3 by Ethernet cable, or is that just during setup? I was hoping to put that one at the front door to help the new car connect to the home wi-fi but that will be less certain if I can't fit a mesh unit there (the hub is in the lounge at the rear of the house).

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes the master does connect to the Hub by ethernet cable. That is traditionally a short one - but it could be 20-30 meters if you really wanted to connect it that far away!

But why ? - any - of the other Mesh units could be located around the same place and work fine?

--------------------
John
--------------------