Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 vs WiFi Booster - Hub Faster but still a massive drop in speed in the next room

Hi, it is my first time on here so any help or advice is really appreciated. 

Problem - The drop in speed from the Hub 3 to the next room is a huge. I have turned off 2.4 Ghz and just using 5 Ghz. I also have a WiFi Booster which doesn't offer me any better speeds. I have split the SSID for the Router and the Booster. 

Speeds

Av. Speed in Mbs
Living Room with Hub in382
Next Room Hub17 - 90
Next Room Booster40 - 60

I have tried all of the usual fixes, rebooting, resetting, moving booster. 

It isn't an old house. Just a 2-bed semi.

Question - Is it right to expect a 300Mbs drop in connection speed to the next room (about 10m away)? As the VM Booster is worse (on average), what are my options? I tried on the 2.4 Ghz and the speed was lower. The speed can also vary from device to device. My 2015 MacBook pro seems to be the worst. But these speeds also apply to an iPad, Android Devices. 

Many thanks in anticipation. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 vs WiFi Booster - Hub Faster but still a massive drop in speed in the next room

Yes it’s to be expected - the hubs Wi-Fi range is poor.

All you can do is invest in a better router, a mesh system, or run some wired AP’s

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 vs WiFi Booster - Hub Faster but still a massive drop in speed in the next room

Ah, well that's no good. So modem mode and connect another router and then mesh system? Or can you go straight to mesh system? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You can, yes, best to disable the Hub's wifi though.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Most mesh systems come with a node that acts as a router.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That's great as I have run out of power outlets. At least I can remove the Powerline and free one up. Any advice on mesh systems which can offer a universal coverage? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

BT Whole Home is well reviewed - you leave the hub in Router Mode and just disable the Wi-Fi broadcast and leave the mesh discs to handle the wifi connectivity.

Other than that something like the TP-Link Deco’s or Netgear Orbi systems. 

0 Kudos