Menu
jonnoprice
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 upgrade problems

I was switching to BT Fibre as a result of steep post-contract price increases. The Virgin Media retention team convinced me to stay by offering a better monthly rate and I happily agreed signing up to a new contract. I have the 200Mbs package and was on the Hub 2. All was good and I was very chuffed I would be able to stay with Virgin.

Then the next day I got another call from retention team because BT had still not cancelled my order and so were re-requesting the line change. Anyway I explained to the guy who called that all was sorted and that I'd already spoken to a colleague and agreed to a new contract and that he could ignore the line change request from BT.

Then just before ending the call he goes "Oh I see you're still on the old hub. Let me send you a new one which is much better and will ensure you get the best speeds."

really wish I had never recieved the 2nd call from the retention team. I was getting great reliable speed on my old hub. Never had problems. But the so called 'upgrade' to Hub 3 has been a terrible experience. So slow. 150Mbps average speed are now a distant memory. Devices seem to hover around the 30Mbps mark. The new Hub is clearly throttling traffic and I keep getting kicked off. I also had to work on solving the "Weak Security" notifications on the iOS devices.

QUESTION: Is it possible to revert to my old hub? 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 upgrade problems

It is possible although they don't like doing it. Assuming you still have the old SH2 - just call in and say its not fit for purpose and ask them to reactivate it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi jonnoprice,

Welcome to the Community Forums! Thanks for your first post.

I'm sorry to hear you're not too pleased with our Hub 3 and you've had some issues with your broadband speeds since this Hub was installed. We would be able to swap you back over to your old Hub 2, however we'd love to be able to try and help you with the issues you've been having with the Hub 3. 

When your Hub 2 was in place, were both your wireless frequency bands split into 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz? If so, it may be worth trying to see if splitting the bands helps. Instructions on how to split the bands can be found here.

In regards to the 'Weak Security' notification, have you been able to find out how to remove this? If not, it's nothing to worry about. Your WiFi is still secure. If you want to remove the message from your phone, you just need to change your router settings. Find out more here: virg.in/ios14

Kind regards,

Beth

jonnoprice
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John and Beth for responses. 

I called Virgin Media last week to see if they can reinstate the old hub but they didn't want to without investigating what is wrong with Hub3. They can also see there is some kind of technical issue from their side. Not able to run tests etc. So a technician has been booked who will hopefully be able to fix this for us when he finally gets round to seeing us. Seems very high demand at the moment in our area for tech support.

In the meantime we have intermittant WiFi - very slow, very unreliable. As both my wife and I are working full time from home during lockdown we are in a real pickle - not to mention the kid's homeschooling. 

Pity we can't wind back the clock so that I could refuse the offer of an upgrade to Hub3. Everything was spot on before. 

Jonathan

PS. Beth yes I did fix the Weak Security issue on Hub3 - but funny that this was not something we had to solve on the previous Hub. I guess my point is that Hub3 does not 'feel' like an upgrade from the point of view of the customer with manual fixes like this required.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The only way to fix any Hub's wifi is to switch it off and use your own better quality wireless equipment - preferably with it in modem only mode.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jonnoprice
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@john I'd be interested to explore that if it is something that can resolve our broadband woes. Do you have any suggestions on what equipment to use in place of the standard Hub? Does this connect in the same way as the Hub would? If you can signpost me to any recommendations / resources that would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Wait for the Tech visit and see what they say about your "connection" as that might be the root cause of your problem. What happens on ethernet cable connected devices when you have wifi issues, and what do the lights on the Hub show/do at that time?

Here are some comments I have posted before. Its not gospel and others will chip in with other (maybe better) solutions - just use it as a "for info background primer".

Get either a…
(1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point or (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

I would say a good Mesh will be the best/simplest/most flexible for most average users.  A Triband system is better for the "backhaul" and for users on high speed packages and umpteen simultaneous connections.

It depends on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£60-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router but 'may' not alone solve the wifi in your house, but spending up to ~£500 will get the “Rolls Royce” solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system. You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a stone built 8 bedroom mansion

Good options for Access points/Wifi routers/Mesh systems come from Ubiquiti, Asus, TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Tenda Nova's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than “newcomer” and data-driven” companies like Google, Amazon, etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically says that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports.

Recently, just as an example... two of my friends who both live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, both just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (~£150) and both told me it is - “absolutely brilliant with full wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”. Their M4/M9 units are good too. The first Mesh unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features” you need. Ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2/unit , so you “may” need to add in an unmanaged GB port switch (<£20) in there as well. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations. Finally if you get a 2/3-pack of any Mesh system, which doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s).

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews of "Best Routers" or "Best Mesh". Post again if you want personal recommendations from others on your short list

--------------------
John
--------------------

jonnoprice
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Quick update to say engineer visited this morning and it was a hardware fault with the connector box inside the property (and not the new Hub). Faulty part replaced and the technician also took the time to move my hub/router to a more central position in the house which is an added bonus. 

I've put the Hub (which is actually working fine now) into modem mode and setup Google Nest WiFi. All is now connected, running as it should be and I'm very happy with the results. >200Mbps and coverage throughout the property. Happy days. 

0 Kudos